le retour

"the return"

June First, 1945

Juliette weaved through the particularly crowded streets of Diagon Alley, desperate to get out of the suffocating heat and endless (and mostly meaningless) chatter. The streets were far too crowded, if she even attempted to go the back way, she would be late, which would no doubt stress out her aunt and Vivianne.

She long ago gave up on her idea of trying to find her way to the more discreet entrance of Knockturn Alley, even though it would be safer, but a scolding from her uncle Matthew on her first day back in England was not something she wanted. She quickly made a left just past Madam Primpernelle's Beautifying Potions Shoppe, mentally and physically preparing herself for the walk through.

She hadn't gone through the main alleyway since her first year here, when she knew no English and nothing of the people. A young girl walking alone through Knockturn Alley was practically a death wish, but fortunately for Juliette at the time, she couldn't understand anything people were shouting at her. Now, her English is much better than it was when she was thirteen. And now she has graduated from Beauxbatons and can stay in England longer, so it should get even better.

She took a deep breath, turning the corner and moving her way through the disgusting alleyway. Women stared at her, and the men started to call out to her. Unlike her first time at thirteen years old, nineteen-year-old Juliette understood almost all of it. The magic that radiated off of these people wasn't just dark, it was poisoned. She shivered at their comments, making a beeline towards 13B Knockturn Alley.

When Borgin & Burkes finally came into view, she sighed with relief. She pushed open the dirty wooden door, and the bell above chimed.

"Corvina? Matthew?" she called out, huffing, happy to be out of the scorching humidity. "Vivianne? Charles?"

"Ah, there you are!" Vivianne Burke responded from somewhere on Juliette's left. "I was wondering when you'd show up."

Juliette smiled, quickly trying to understand her English. Normally, that would be a sentence she'd understand, but after being back in France for months, she knew she would need to brush up.

Vivianne finally came into view, moving out from behind an old metal dresser. "Oh, right. Je t'attendais."

Juliette nodded, now understanding. "Je ne suis pas en retard, n'est-ce pas?"

Vivianne shook her head. "No, no. Not late at all. Come here," she smiled, pulling Juliette into a tight hug.

While Vivianne wasn't family, Juliette always felt as if her and Mr. Burke were. Vivianne always made sure to check on her, or help her with her broken English. It wasn't that Corvina and Matthew didn't care for her, but it was different from Vivianne. Hell, Vivianne cared about her so much she learned French, just so that Juliette didn't feel as isolated, or if she ever needed a translator.

"How was your..." Vivianne trailed, no doubt trying to find the right word. "Cérémonie?"

"It was nice. Eventful." Juliette smiled, her accent coming through strongly.

"Sorry I couldn't be there. I tried. Tell me about it later, okay? Corvina is behind the counter, Matt is at the Cauldron with Charles."

Juliette gaped. "This early in the day?" She knew Charles' drinking was on a downward spiral thanks to the letters Matthew had sent her during the school year, but drinking in the middle of a weekday when he should be working? She had never seen Charles like this.