dynamique et pensées ivres

"dynamics and drunken thoughts"

June Twenty-Ninth, 1945

In Beauxbatons, Juliette was taught the six ecological relationships in her Magical Creatures classes.

There was Competition, where a minimum of two organisms would rely on a single source. Majority of the time, these relationships are deadly.

Mutualism was its counterpart, where both organisms benefited from each other.

Then there was Predation, which was the behaviour of one animal feeding on another.

Commensalism was where one animal benefited, whereas nothing bad happened to the other, but nothing good happened either.

Parasitism was the opposite, where one organism was harmed, and one was benefited.

Symbiosis was a relationship where two unlike organisms formed a mutually beneficial relationship.

So, what exactly was Juliette's role with the Death Eaters? More specifically, what was her role with a man like Preston? With Tom?

Upon leaving the manor, she chose to Apparate to Knockturn Alley, longing for any sense of familiarity. Her head spun as she stumbled down the alley, trying to keep herself hidden from whoever lurked around in the dark.

Juliette made her way to the front of The White Wyvern. Since it was a Friday, the place was quite crowded, despite the heavy storm clouds looming above the heads of everyone in London. Opening the door, she squeezed her way through the people, in desperate need of a drink. Miraculously, there was an empty seat in the corner of the bar.

"Is this seat taken?" Juliette nodded at the woman occupying the seat next to the empty one.

"By you," the woman smiled back, her teeth glowing in contrast to her dark skin.

Juliette sighed with relief, motioning the bartender over. "Thank God,"

"Are you Catholic?" The unnamed woman asked.

The blonde chuckled in response. "Furthest from, I'm afraid. I'm Pagan."

The woman hummed. "People are interesting, aren't they?" She asked rhetorically, taking a sip of her drink. "Here we are, two total strangers, discussing our hopes of the afterlife."

Juliette laughed again, as the woman's words perfectly described her and Tom. "You've got no idea. I'm Juliette."

"Like the tragedy?" The woman gasped.

Juliette nodded. "Like the tragedy." She repeated.

"How poetic. I'm Valentine Young."

"And you thought Juliette was poetic?" Juliette gaped. "Valentine is such a lovely name!"

"Friends call me Val," she shrugged, taking a sip of the drink in her hand.

"Why are you here alone, Val?"

"I caught my fiance with another woman." She shrugged once more, her gaze averting to the cup in her hands.

"That's... that's awful, I'm so sorry."

Val sighed, her shoulders dropping. In all honesty, she couldn't have been much older than Juliette, maybe in her late twenties. Juliette's heart twisted for her. She was so young, and here she was, heartbroken over one man.