Flashback 2

Little Maddy, now not so little, stood at the grave of her parents on her sixteenth birthday, heart broken. She stared down at the headstones, feeling empty and sobbing, setting down bouquets of roses on each grave. Even with them being absent her whole life, she still couldn't help but feel pain from the loss. She sat down in the dirt, hugging her knees to her chest, her doll still in her hands.

She sobbed, feeling so alone. Why has this happened to her now? She was still so young and her parents had finally started pulling away from work to spend time with her. Now they were dead. And the only things she had left from them was their life's work, and the assets they left behind. She didn't want the family fortune, or the many acres of land. She wanted THEM.

After a moment, she felt a hand on her shoulder, and turned around. It was Uncle Edgar.

"Hey, kiddo. It's okay. Your 'ol uncle is here for you." He smiled, opening up his arms, and she collapsed into them. She couldn't imagine how he was feeling, her Aunt Angel passing just a year prior. She sobbed into his shoulder, shaking like a leaf. He held her tight and rubbed her back, gently shushing her to make her feel better.

When she finally calmed down, she pulled away gently.

"Now what? I'm left with all this....meaningless stuff. All I have now is my work and you. Please say you will stay with me here at the house. It's so large and empty and the things that hang out in these woods scare me." Maddy looked around, feeling paranoid. She had been seeing things much more lately, including Mr.Perfect.

That would be okay if he didn't scare her once really bad when she was ten, usually he was quiet and friendly, following her around and listening to her talk to him. But he actually touched her, making her extremely sick to the point of being bed ridden. Not only had he done this, but he spoke to her. Her entire life she didn't think he was.....a physical entity. Just a figment of her imagination, just someone her brain conjured up to fill the loneliness her parents left her in.

He was real. Not imaginary. This was threatening, because she realized if she made him angry, or if he decided he was tired of her......well she didn't want to think about that. He assured her that it wouldn't happen, but how could she be sure? After all, he was real. This means he was just as unpredictable as anyone else, and he could easily trick her if she was not careful.

"Of course, kiddo. I'd be happy to. I'm glad I have a specific room, I don't even need to leave to grab anything from home. Let's go inside and have some tea."

~~~~~~~~~~~

Some time passed, and Maddison sat on her balcony, sipping a delicious hot drink. It was early in the morning and this was her daily ritual. She was speaking aloud as if talking to someone, as she always did. Even if Mr.Perfect wasn't around anymore, she still felt as if someone was there with her, and she just needed to talk. She was enjoying herself, until she looked at the horizon.

There he was. Mr.Perfect.

Her stomach dropped, and she swallowed hard. Lately she was afraid to go out and do any of her duties. She was a major part of the community and the understanding of the local wild and plant life, but ever since she turned eighteen, it was just harder and harder to go out there. Every time she did, her stomach churned and she could feel eyes on her. It upset her, she used to take time to skinny dip in the local clearwater spring, but ever since she came of age all she could feel was eyes on her.

She stared him down, and he did the same to her. Her skin started to tingle, and she felt fuzzy headed. She used to enjoy this feeling when she was a child, but now it wasn't exactly welcome. She was scared and backed into her home, quickly shutting the balcony doors. She heard footsteps outside, and panicked. Three loud knocks echoed through her home, and she felt like throwing up.

Don't hide from me, you don't know my intentions.

His voice rang in her head, and while it was an attractive voice, she was terrified. He was powerful and he was also correct, she didn't know his intentions. She didn't think they were good ones, either. She hid, not trusting him.

Disobedient. Fine. I'll play games with you. But just know I am the master of hide and seek.

Her stomach dropped, she was in one of the many secret rooms in her home, there was no way he could find her here....

Right?

She could hear his dress shoes on the creaky wood, he had somehow entered the house without making any noise. Each time he knocked on a door, it was in intervals of three, evenly spaced rhythms. He slowly got closer, and she breathed in deeply, holding her breath.

Come out, come out wherever you are.....

She was shaking now. He was right next to the secret door. It went silent in her home, and just as she thought he had given up, she felt a hand on her shoulder.

I found you.