Chapter 8

Things were a blur again, but this time Evergreen was prepared. Tom and Bella kept her locked in her room, and even though she admired their efforts, she knew it was no good. If Maddison or...Him, wanted to find her, they would. In fact it was only a matter of time before someone did, and Evergreen was aware of what would happen if He got to her first. She refused to be just another victim, she refused to end up like her father.

She slowly learned the patterns of their visits and gathered the courage to say what she had been brewing in her mind in her solitude.

"I need to go back."

The words were met with a deadly, stunned silence. Both Tom and Bella were struck with disbelief.

"Absolutely not! I will not lose my only baby to those...those monsters!" Bella exclaimed in a near shriek, making her daughter flinch.

"I have to agree with your mother on this, Evie. It's too dangerous, I'm not sure what we would do if something happened to you." Tom nervously scratched his beard, he had gained this tic anytime he felt paranoid about something.

"I don't want to be the one to say this, but if anything is going to happen, it's going to, whether we like it or not. No amount of locking me away in this room is going to keep me safe. If I don't get to the center of this mystery, who else is going to be blindsided by these individuals? Some young girl or boy may fall victim to the incidents we have been experiencing." Evergreen stood her ground, she couldn't let anything happen to anyone else like it had to her family or families before her. They at least needed to know how to fight against this situation, and she already knew enough, there was no escaping her fate.

"I won't! You can't! I can't lose you!" Bella bursted into tears, leaving the room.

Tom stood silently and kneeled down to level himself with the seated Evergreen.

"Listen...Your mother and I don't want you to do anything that could put your life at risk, but if what you say is true and there is no way to properly keep you safe.....I want you to do what you feel is right. I'll protect your mother and take care of her, just....do what you have to." Tom's eyes were stern but understanding, Evergreen blinked a couple times before smiling.

"Don't worry, I don't plan on dying."

Late that night, Evergreen snuck out of her window with a bunch of gear, dropping into a bush. She packed the bag with the camera Maddison gave her, a flashlight, her medication and some water. She also had a gun that Tom slipped her when her mother was busy, and a matching holster on her hip. She took out her flashlight and made her way to the forest, staying aware of her surroundings. As she came to the mouth of the woods, she left behind a note, just in case she didn't make it back. Something mushy and sweet, just so her family knew they were on her mind the whole time she was doing this, tacked directly to the first tree.

She disappeared into the brush and trees, watching her back the whole time. Paranoia swallowed her mind as she made her way deeper and deeper, and she knew He was watching. Especially when she came up to a tree with a page attached to it.

"You shouldn't have come here."

She felt the heat emanating off the piece of paper, and knew this was the way she needed to go. She continued following the small dirt trail, marching through the brush and trees. She kept her hand on her gun, eyes darting back and forth. She heard noises all around herself, and immediately knew that somebody was close.

A woman's giggle was heard, but not one she recognized. She felt a cold chill, immediately unnerved.

"He's going to get you!~" The woman darted across the path, scaring the wits out of Evergreen. She caught a glimpse of her mask, and recognized it immediately. It was the person from the store who magically disappeared!