Flashback 6

Maddy sat quietly in her room, avoiding any conversation with her Uncle or the man. She was angry, betrayed. Why was her Uncle talking to the man who had been watching her since her childhood? And why was he waiting for her so patiently with that very same man for her to come back? She didn't understand anything that was happening, all she knew was that she was furious.

"Please Maddy, come out, just talk to me." Edgar pleaded outside her door, sighing.

He had no intention of upsetting her, and he felt remorseful at this moment. He deserved the cold shoulder, after all, he accepted that to her, it felt like betrayal.

"I'm sorry my little Rose, please just come out and let me explain myself...." The man slumped into a chair in the hallway. Maddy sighed, and unlocked her door, silently slipping out into the hallway. She was a mess of bandaids and bruises, having been pretty injured in the woods while running.

"You have ten minutes to explain everything to me. Go."

~~~~~~~~~~

A few months later, Maddy twirled in the most beautiful dress she had ever adorned, her hair in the prettiest updo, her veil long and flowing. She felt like she was in a dream, holding onto her little groom doll, kissing it on the head. She set it down in the armchair in the corner, and turned back to the mirror, feeling like a princess.

Edgar stepped into the room, grinning.

"You look beautiful, little Rose." Edgar was adorned in a beautiful suit, adjusting his vest a tad.

"I think it's time, Uncle. Are you ready?" She beamed, Edgar nodding and looping her arm into his. Her father would've been so happy to be passing his daughter off himself, but since that wasn't possible, Edgar was proud to do it in his stead.

They walked down the stairs and out to the garden, where everyone was sitting. Some were people Maddison recognized, others were not. That didn't matter, she continued walking down the aisle as Edgar passed her off and took a seat. Maddison stood in front of her groom, smiling. As the event unfolded, when it came to say "I do's", she stared up at her groom.

His suit looked different this time, almost like it was made of velvet. She reached out and her leaned down, allowing her to touch his chest. She smiled and shut her eyes, and felt something she hadn't even thought of.

He had a heartbeat. A muddled, random mess, but a heartbeat no less.

He hummed gently in happiness.

"Mr. Grossman, do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife?" Without even a moment to spare, he answered.

I do.

"Ms. Maddison Valentine, do you take this....man? To be your lawfully wedded husband?"

This time it took Maddison a moment, she gazed up at her groom, unsure still of what she was doing. Was this really what she wanted?

It was, she knew deep down.

"I do...." She reached her hand out, and almost with complete understanding, the groom leaned down to her hand. She gently caressed his....face....or lack thereof. She brought their foreheads together gently, shutting her eyes.

Her fate was sealed.

She was reborn as Maddison Grossman.