Flashback 4

Maddy ran, hard and fast, out of that house. She wasn't going down easily. She was barefoot and in thin nightwear that stopped at the middle of her thigh, but she cared less about how she was dressed. She ran for her life, whipped by thorns and cut by branches, it hurt, but she was sure whatever He had in store for her was much worse.

The sun had just dropped below the horizon, and all she could think of was to run. She had no other thoughts, she could hear his steps, hear the branches breaking, hear him in her mind.

Why are you running from me?

She was so scared, her chest was pounding, and she was exhausted. Extremely. She found herself slowing down, and knew she had to hide. She didn't know where, until she found the little spot she loved to take dips in, and decided this was her only chance. She jumped in, and did her best to stay sunk underneath. She watched as he approached, looking around for her, clearly frustrated.

I will find you, I am growing tired of these games.

The man then disappeared back into the woods, and when she figured out the coast was clear, Maddy bobbed back up. She took a deep breath of fresh air before sneaking off to find somewhere to hide for the night. Not far from the water was a cave, and she decided this was the best spot to hide for the night. She hid in the far back, and stayed there all night.

Too scared to sleep, she watched the opening of the cave until the sun came up. She then left the cave, knowing she was....mostly safe by now. She walked home, constantly looking over her shoulder, afraid and paranoid. Her emotions were so intense she felt like she was going to have a heart attack right then and there, but she focused on walking home so that Edgar would not worry about her.

But wait.

Where was Uncle Edgar in all of this? Surely he heard the commotion, he was supposed to be home when all of it happened. Maddison was confused, but continued on. When she got home, she shut the door, and headed upstairs. She was exhausted and needed a nap, but as she got to the top, she was greeted by her Uncle.

And Him.

"I'm so sorry, sweetie. I'm so....so...sorry."