[one] closer, closer and closer

CHAPTER ONE.
closer, closer and closer.

"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes

something wicked this way comes."
    — William Shakespeare

SHE FOUND HERSELF curled up on the cushioned windowsill by a booth inside a diner.

Rory allowed her eyes to wander from the window, looking around the diner, with no memory of how she got there. As her mind processed everything around her, taking aware of her surroundings, Rory began to realize what a pressing matter she had at hand, which had her breathe rapidly and deep.

Closer, closer and closer.

Where am I? Rory asked herself, the overbreathing left her feeling breathless. Am I really in a frigging diner? Looks like it, but that's impossible. Last time I checked I was in my bedroom. Am I dreaming?

She pinched herself, hard, and felt the pain. Then, she made sure to count her fingers like she had heard someone say worked to determine if you were dreaming, hallucination or not. Oh no, there's 10. This is real.

Perhaps her next step should have been to sit down on one of the sofas in the booth instead of remaining on the windowsill, in order to not stand out. But, instead, Rory tried to distract herself by grabbing the menu from the table and directing her attention towards it.

However, it provided her with no relief, as even the thought of food made her feel sick. Usually, there was close to nothing which could ruin her appetite, but that did not apply to when she felt anxious and panicked.

Closer, closer and closer.

At some point the waitress came and Rory ordered something, but to be honest she couldn't remember the conversation, and neither could she recall what she had ordered. Rory's thoughts had begun to spiral too much, and consumed her whole being.

Was I drugged and kidnapped? And then my kidnappers left me alone for a while believing I'm still knocked out from the drugs? Rory thought, desperately trying to figure out a logical explanation to it all.