[three] do you hear me?

CHAPTER THREE.
do you hear me?

"Have a little compassion on my nerves

nerves. You tear them to pieces."
Jane Austen, Pride & Prejudice

IT WAS SIMPLE, sincere and silent, but spoke loudly as the wind pushed the swing set forward, inviting her to come and take a seat.

Rory walked to the swinging chair and felt the wood chips from underneath her feet crunch and crinkle, once sat down feeling the warm metal chains attaching the swing to the pole above her between her fingers. How much time had passed since she started to run? Minutes? She wasn't sure.

She wondered why Sam and Dean hadn't found her yet; they should have been able to catch up to her much earlier. But, after a while Rory figured they probably didn't go after her immediately. Perhaps they waited a while to discuss with one another weather they should go after her.

Rory sighed, the creaking of the swing she was sitting on was the only sound in the quiet empty playground. She let out a groan of frustration and resisted the urge to bang her head against the pillar of the swing.

She was a foolish, foolish girl.

Running away from the Winchesters was the stupidest thing she could have done.

Not to mention sitting there, waiting for the Winchesters to find her felt surreal.

It all felt so unreal.

In her waiting, Rory lit a cigarette and blew smoke rings into the dark night. The rings were drifting in and out of touch, and in the distance the crescent moon shone bright. It was picturesque, so clear, and a black navy gradient was the backdrop for a full moon. Millions of starts clear for the eye, and Rory hoped that it would last until she was no longer alone.

No longer alone. So far, Rory had managed to distract herself from the looming unknown, but now, with the Winchesters probably on their way to find her and she was most likely only a few minutes away from having to explain everything — or at the very least close to it — to the two brothers, an anticipatory shiver ran down her spine.