[seven] a calm in the storm

CHAPTER SEVEN.
a calm in the storm.

"Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks

and weeks. But hears it out even
to the edge of doom."
      — William Shakespeare, Sonnet 116

THE WINCHESTER BROTHERS had already made themselves quite comfortable in the car.

It didn't exactly come as a surprise, them being able to comfortably hang out in the only consistent thing in their childhood in their wait for Rory and Castiel. Even if it had been a surprise, it would have been a welcome one.

Sam had his knees tucked up, using them as a temporary desk for his laptop while he typed. Fast paced, but precise. Like each letter had to be added quickly and yet be perfect on the first try. Like a journalist on their final draft with only forty-five minutes until deadline.

And at the same time, Dean spend his time listening to the classic rock music playing from the cassette. His humming and tapping on the steering wheel along with the songs irritated Sam, but after living with his brother for so long it was something he had grown used to. Learned to ignore. It was a habit of Dean's that always annoyed him, but whenever Dean wasn't around Sam always found himself missing it.

But what he would never miss was Dean's failed attempts to hit the high notes in classic rock songs. It was always a direct attack on his eardrums.

"Dude, seriously?"

Without missing a beat Dean held his hands up as if to say 'I surrender'. Sam just rolled his eyes at him and turned his attention back to the computer.

Turning the music volume down a bit, the brothers fell into a comfortable silence, both temporarily ignoring the subject of Rory. Despite knowing they
so obviously needed to discuss it.

"Sammy," Dean spoke up once he'd grown tired of the silence, hitting the steering wheel to create a drumroll before continuing, "I think we should eat."

"Dean," Sam groaned, closing his computer, "we ate not even one and a half hours ago."

"So?" As the question rolled of his tongue he looked over at Sam, cocking an eyebrow.