I Miss My Lover, Man

Alex does not take in a word of it.

His doctors are saying something about how he had lost his memory, that he had been attacked and drugged, and he feels tiny flashes of something in his brain, but it hurts to see them, so he pushes it away, wincing.

He can't get the picture of the boy his age out of his head. The image of his face falling when Alex had told him he didn't know the kid. Someone, the first guy that he had met, Bucky, he reminds himself, told Alex the boy's name. Peter.

Peter, he thinks.

He wants to see Peter again.

He interrupts one of the doctors that is still saying something to him, and requests that Peter come to his room.

The doctor sighs and nods, getting up and leaving.

Peter walks through the doors a few minutes later, looking wary.

"Yes?" he asks, and Alex smiles.

"How do you know me?" He asks Peter, and Peter smiles too.

"We're...friends," he says, struggling with the word slightly.

"Why do you say it like that?" Alex asks him, frowning.

"Well, before you were attacked and drugged, causing you to lose your memory, we were... together, sorta. We didn't want to label it quite yet," Peter explains, and Alex nods.

"The doctors said something about that, can you tell me what happened?" Alex asks curiously, leaning forward slightly.

Peter nods, and sits down at the edge of his bed.

He talks for around an hour, explaining to Alex everything that had happened, including stuff about his past.

He turns red a few times and looks away from Alex when certain parts of his story come up, and Alex furrows his eyebrows.

When Peter finishes talking, Alex's mind is racing, painful flashes of memories clawing at his brain.

"So I'm actually 49 years old and it's not 1987?" He asks, confused.

"Yeah. It's 2019," Peter confirms, nodding.

"So, HYDRA took me? When I was 14?" He looks at Peter, swallowing hard.

Peter looks away. Alex narrows his eyes.

"That's what you told me, at least," he mumbles, not looking at Alex.

"You didn't believe me, I presume," Alex replies, eyes still narrowed.

"Yeah. So I asked FRIDAY to research you. It turns out your father enrolled you in a program. He told you it was a cooking class at a college nearby your house," Peter says, looking sheepish.

He remembers that, vaguely. That memory doesn't hurt. He could feel the distant giddy excitement at the prospect of learning about recipes, about the food world.

"Peter?" He asks slowly.

Peter looks up.

"My name wasn't always Alex," he says cautiously, looking for confirmation in Peter's eyes.

He nods.

"When he enrolled me in that course, I had come out to him a few days before. I thought maybe he was telling me that he still loved me, despite everything. I was so desperate for his love," Alex says softly.

"You told me about him one time," Peter replies, just as soft.

"So, you say I'm an ex-assassin, huh?" Alex says, grinning, trying to lighten the mood.