0.8

When I wake up I hear a muffled voice. It becomes clearer. I also hear a steady beeping. Then I open my eyes and see Sarah and smile widely.
"Hi." Her soft voice breaks me out of my thoughts.
"Hi." I smile still looking at how beautiful this lighting is on her.
"Where am I?" I look around.
"St. Olivia's. You fell from the hawks nest. You have a concussion and a broken wrist."
"Whoa." I say and my smile dies down a little.
"Pretty cool." She say repositioning on the chair next to my bed as I sit up.
"I need to get outta here." I groan.
"DCS is gonna find me." They've been on me since my mom passed I've been running but if I'm here, I'm basically just a sitting duck.
"Hang on there, kid, hang on." I sit down and look to Sarah not knowing who this man is. She just gives me a reassuring smile and I sigh.
"Sarah told me everything. About your little adventure, the doctors told me about running from DCS, about how you were protecting her in the tower." I look at Sarah as he continues talking.
"I talked to the sheriff peterkin, and... I've offered to be your legal guardian, if you'll have me." I laugh and Sarah looks at me confused.
"What?"
"I'd mean putting a roof over your head and no more runnin' from the DCS." I chuckle and shake my head.
"Thank you, sir, really. But my dad is actually getting his rights back and he will be my legal guardian. I've thought about it and I can't leave my brother, like my mom did." Sarah stands.
"What?!" Ward pats my shoulder.
"That is perfectly fine, kid. But if you ever need somewhere to go, I'm hear." He walks out and i stand in front of Sarah playing with something on my finger.
"Sarah, I was going to tell you, but—"
"But?"
"But I knew that this is how you would react. I'll be fine. You know jay won't let Luke lay a hand on me." She sighs in frustration before looking back at me, getting lost in my gray-blue eyes.
"I know, but, I don't want any chances of you getting hurt. I care about you." I could tell she cared and was now avoiding my gaze. I placed my finger on her chin forcing her to look at me.
"I know you care, but, I'll be fine. Okay?" She nods and I pull her into a soft meaningful kiss.
"Also, do you think your dad will let me stay until that house is done?" I smile holding Sarah's arms tracing patterns on the back of them.
"Dad?!" She shouts and scares me a little which makes her laugh.
"Yeah, sweetie?"
"Can Luna stay? But just for a couple days?"
"Yeah, yeah, that's fine. Come on let's go home." We all get into wards truck and get to the Cameron's house. We get inside and ward and Sarah lead me to a room.
"Welcome, kid." Ward says before he opens the door.
"This is your room." Sarah steps in and sits on the bed. But this room was huge, bigger then the one I'm having in my house.
"Whoa."
"It's not to shabby, huh?" Sarah chuckles at my reaction.
"Yeah. Not to shabby at all."
"And my room is just upstairs, in case you were wondering." She says and I jump then roll next to her, getting stuck in the process because of my Broken wrist.
"You okay?" She asks as I struggle.
"Yeah. No, I'm good. I'm good. I got it." I groan as I get up and settle next to her.
"But I have to warn you." She turns towards me and our faces are really close.
"Uh-oh" I turn to her also. So we're looking into each other's eyes.
".....I sleepwalk. So if I show up in your room in the middle of the night..." I chuckle and my lips turn upwards.
"You just want me to roll with it?"
"Yeah, maybe." She starts to lean in a little and I get the hint. So I lean in and the second our lips touch someone yells stepping in.
"Sarah Elizabeth Cameron! You've already broken the first rule. What's the first rule?" Ward asks and Sarah rolls her eyes and walks to him.
"Stay out of each other's rooms." She says annoyed.
"All right, seriously. Picture that as a boundary." He says referring to the doorway with his hands.
"This is like a minefield. Yes, sir?" He looks to Sarah.
"Yes sir." She looks down.
"Yes, sir, Luna."
"Uh, yes, sir, yeah."
"All right. Sarah, can you give me and the new inmate a quick minute here." Sarah smiles and looks at me.
"Please be nice."
"I'll be nice." Ward says slightly smiling.
"How you doin'? How's the arm?"
"Uh, better."
"You're lucky. Fall any other way, you don't hit that sand, you could have broken both your arms and your back."
"Yeah, I'm super lucky. I just wanna say thank you for standing up to DCS for me, and I'm sorry I couldn't take your offer."
"Don't even think about it. Happy to do it. One other thing. Um... last night Sarah was in my office and she was getting a map, and she said it was for you, and....I'm sorry, but I just have to ask. You guys aren't chasin, after pots of gold like john's old man, are you, Luna?" My eyes widen but go back to normal before he can see it.
"Look, mr. c uh,......Sarah just told me you had some cool old maps."
"Mm-hm."
"I'm kind of a history buff, myself, and, uh..." I chuckle as I think of my mom.
".....that I guess I get from my mom. You see, she, um, she was an explorer, until she got sick."
"That makes sense, uh, what was her name."
"Charlie bell. She was from here actually, maybe you know her?"
"It sounds familiar, you know I think heyward and her used to be friends. Anyway, uh,...take it easy the next couple days, all right?"
"Absolutely, thank you."
"You've been through a lot."
"Yes, sir." Ward leaves and I go up to Sarah's room and knock before going in anyways. I walk in and see Sarah on the ground with a plastic cup and string that's going through her broken vent. I didn't say anything. I just closed the door and went and laid next to her on the ground. She just smiled and looked at me. She put the cup to her mouth and spoke into it.
"Weez, I'll talk to you later, ok?"
"Ok" I hear a voice come from the cup. Sarah put the cup in her vent and closed it. Then looked at me. She tucked a lose strand of hair behind my ear. I turned over so I was on my back and she was still on her stomach. I reached up cupping her cheek and caressing it. She smiled her beautiful mesmerizing smile and slowly leaned forwards. Our lips touched and quickly became heated. I dragged my tongue along her bottom lip, in request for entrance. When she separated her lips slightly after I slide my tongue into her mouth and our tongues immediately fought for dominance. I eventually won but then she pulled away for air. Both of us breathing heavy and I smile.
"So I've got to go meet the team. I'll be back soon. Okay?"
"Okay." She says and I peck her cheek then get up and go downstairs to Ward.
"Sir?"
"Luna, yes?"
"I'm just gonna go meet my brother."
"Okay be back before midnight."
"Okay, thank you, sir." I leave and walk to a restaurant jj told me to go to. Apparently kie's parents own a restaurant or something. I get there and tell them everything that happened and how I'm staying at the Cameron's.
"I'm sorry. Your staying where?" Kie asks mad and I look to the ground.
"Tannyhill."
"So your living with Sarah Cameron."
"Okay, look, The only reason I'm staying there is because her dad bailed me out, right. And it's way better than foster care, which by the way, is where I would go if ward didn't—"
"What do you mean foster care?" Jj sits next to me. I didn't want to worry him so I didn't tell him about DCS but I guess I have to now.
"Jay I didn't want you to worry, but, DCS has been on me since Mom's funeral. Ward offered to be my legal guardian but I said no. I'll find something else."
"Are you sure? You can't get sent away."
"I know jj. I'll figure it out." I say before Pope interrupts.
"Hey so do you have a membership to the clubs now?"
"I don't know Pope." John b joins in now.
"What about those golf carts, they drive you around? You get one of them." He laughs and jj taps my arm.
"Does it come with a sweater-vest, or do you have to buy one on your own?"
"look, you promised. You said no one was makin' on her." Kie says and everything falls quiet.
"Bro, just own it. She got you." Pope says eyeing me.
"Look, if you wanna hang out with her, that's one. But I'm letting you know now that I'm not doing anything with Sarah." She crosses her arms and looks me in the eyes. I gulp.
"Do you guys see her here? No, right. Okay. A little focus would be fantastic." I say defensively.
"We've got the map, right?" Jj says feeling the tension.
"It's out of wack 'cause the guy who drew it was ganja'd when he drew it. It's cause the coast has changed." John b says looking at it.
"So we just have to look for landmarks that haven't changed." Pope says and I nod.
"What about the old forts?"
"Battery jasper."
"We're in battery, right here. So if this is parcel nine, then it's somewhere northeast of here." I say pointing.
"Somewhere there." Kie points.
"Yeah." Jj gets closer and looks.
"Over there? Guys, that's not tannyhill, that's subdivision."
"Tannyhill plantation was The Whole island. It got sold into smaller pieces over time."
"So we're just looking for an old stone wall. Okay, so the road should split up hear." Pope says.
"Okay." John b agrees. We all get in the van and head to wherever we're going. God I never know where we are going.
"All right. Your gonna take a left."
"That looks like a stone wall to me." Jj says as we stop.
"This is it." We open the door.
"Not the Crain house. Are you kidding me?" Everyone gets out and I struggle to close the door so John b helps me.
"Worst-case senecio. Why'd it have to be here.....of all places" Jj keeps complaining, before running up to me and starting a story.
"I heard that mrs. Crain buried her husbands head on the property." I shake my head until I see that kie looks spooked.
"You guy's know who's house this is, right?"
"Oh, yeah, no, yeah I do." Jj points at some poison ivy I was about to step on. I avoided it and smiled at him as a thank you.
"Honestly, I don't really believe the stories of this place." Kie shrugs and comes closer to us so she could hear jj better.
"Shh"
"What?" Pope shushes them but Jj keeps talking.
"Which stories did you hear?" John b asks Kie.
"The ones where she killed her husband with an axe and that she's been holed up ever since. On certain nights, when the moon is full...you can see her in the window!" She shouts and jj jumps so she laughs and I chuckle.
"No, it's not funny, 'cause it's all true. I swear to god, guys, this is all real. I knew Hollis, jeez!" Jj defends himself.
"Wait, you knew Hollis crane?" John b sounds surprised she must be weird.
"Yeah, Dude."
"Dude, how do you know Hollis Crain?" Pope says and we get close enough that we can see the house.
"She was my babysitter, man. She told me all about it. The truth...about her mother and what happened in this house. So, as a kid she heard all the stories that her mother killed her father and...she was a murderer And all. Hollis didn't believe it until that night."
"What night?" How is Kie interested in this it's the dumbest story I've ever heard.
"It all came back to her. When Hollis was six years old, she heard her parents arguing downstairs. So, she goes downstairs to see her mom washing her hands in the sink...full of blood. Her mother just says that she cut her finger. The next morning, she says her father and her split up. But then, Hollis noticed something. Her mother going into the parlor constantly, in and out with plastic bags. Weeks pass, and Hollis decides to use the out house. And while she's using it, she looks down, and there, in the out house, is her fathers head looking straight back at her." Jj says and John b laughs.
"god, you are so full of shit." Jj shakes his head.
"Dude, I swear to god, man."
"Did she call the police?" Kie asks. Does she really believe him. We are now in front of the stone wall.
"She didn't have time." As we get to the wall we all sigh.
"We can't do this—" Pope says looking at us. And John b goes to hop over the wall. So I use my non broken hand and get up to the top. I go to jump until jj shouts.
"Wait! Dude!"
"What." I sound annoyed. My mother died finding this treasure and I'm not going to let some scary old lady stop me from doing the one thing she couldn't.
"You sure you wanna do this? She's an axe murderer. You got a cast on."
"I don't give a shit if she's an axe murderer, okay? I got nothin' to lose, right? You comin' or what?" Jj looks down then scoffs jumping over then helping me.
"Thank you. And I realize that I do have something to lose now, You. So I'm sorry." I whisper to jj and he hugs me quickly.
"It's alright. I get it, you were in the moment." I chuckle and help Kie down as jj helps Pope.
"Hey, come on. Come here." John b whispers and we all form a little huddle.
"So here's the plan. We need to look for the wheat near the water. Like it said in Denmark's letter." John b says and I furrow my eye brows.
"Okay, like, what kind of water? Like pond water?" I chuckle to my self before finishing.
"Bong water?" Jj laughs and nods proudly at me.
"No, it— it just said to look for water, okay?"
"That's the shittiest secret message ever." Kie states.
"You wanna complain a little more, kie? Nobody said it was gonna be easy." John b snaps at her. And Pope interrupts before anything happens.
"I'll search the northeast quadrant, you two search the northwest." Pope points to me and jj who walks the way he was instructed so I follow him.
"The decapitation quadrant." He mumbles so I bump into him slightly and he chuckles. We look for a while before everyone makes it to John b when he calls us over.
"Hey, psst! Hey, come on. It's the only place we haven't looked." He says referring to a basement door thing. He opens it and a bird flies out towards jj.
"Oh, shit..." He swats it away.
"Here we go."John says going In followed by jj then me. We all get down there and jj starts singing.
"Down mrs. Crain and cut off all our heads. Up came the sun and dried up all the blood."
"Can you stop?" Pope looks at jj.
"See any water." John b asks appearing behind Kie, scaring her slightly.
"Another dead end." Kie says turning to him.
"There's not even water on the pipes. There's no water here. Not a driplamato." Jj says running his finger on the pipes on the ceiling.
"bad karma." Kie shrugs looking at me and John b who is right next to me. She's mostly looking at me and facing me.
"Oh, god here we go."
"You know, we had a good thing going. And then you decided to rope in Barbie, and now the trails gone dry. Coincidence? Probably not." Kie starts and since she's focused on me John b escapes walking over with jj.
"this is exactly why I didn't wanna tell you about Sarah."
"Yeah?" She question.
"Yeah. What's going on between you two?"
"Nothing."
"Nothing? Is it because John b kissed you? Is that the problem?" Before I can even think kie's hand is hitting my face. I feel a burning on my cheek so I put my hand on it to rub the raw skin.
"Oh!"
"Oh, shit!"
"That echoed, Dude" Jj, Pope and John b make noises.
"Stop treating me like I'm some girl that's obsessed with guys. Instead of your best friend who's trying to look out for you." Kie says but I'm just focused on the fact that she just slapped me.
"Did you, uh...hit me?" I question and she holds up her hand. So I point my flashlight at it to see a tiny little misquote on it.
"Skeeter." She states.
"Skeeter?"
"Yeah, you see it?"
"Yeah." I hit her face as another misquote lands on her face but not nearly as hard as she hit me.
"Oh, hey!" Jj says a little loud.
"Okay..."Pope says
"No—" Jj looks at me.
"Where's your proof?" Kie asks pointing her light at my hand. I lift it so she can see it.
"Skeeter."
"Yeah? There's probably one right there." She says hitting my stomach.
"There's one right there." I hit her shoulder.
"Really? You saw that?"
"Sh!" Pope Walks away to think.
"On your forehead." I get her and she lets out a chuckle.
"You're dead. That's it. Today is the day you die." She threatens and almost falls backwards. As we're still hitting each other in any open spot.
"Today's your funeral." She continues.
"One bandito." She hits the side of my neck. I hit her leg and she his the inside of my arm.
"See this?" We keep going and kie laughs.
"You know how this ends." I say getting her stomach.
"All right." I say as we finish but she hits the inside of my elbow.
"Ow." She giggles and backs up.
"Oh shit." She almost falls again. Then hits my temple.
"Skeeter for real." Pope starts pounding something getting my attention and kie hits my face again.
"Oh." I make a noise and she shushes me.
"Hey, help me move this." Pope says and we all shush each other while moving a pile of wood. Pope starts to lift the floor boards.
"Guys! Guys!" Kie shouts.
"Guys. Yeah, I know. Yeah, yeah. Sh, sh." Jj mocks her.
"She's probably right upstairs." Kie worry's as we move another floor board revealing a dark, deep well.
"Well, we'll, well." Pope says and I chuckle.
"That was a good dad joke."
"They built this part of the house right over it." Kie says as we all nod looking down the well.
"This is we're she hid the bodies." Jj says and we all get grossed out immediately.
"Oh, Dude, come on."
"Stop."
"No im dead serious." Jj looks down nervously.
"Stop it!"
"Hey, hey"
"It was never an out house." Jj rambles.
"She probably doesn't even know it's here." Kie says.
"So...we found water." Pope smiles.
"We're gonna need a really big rope."John b chuckles and we leave the house. We get in the van and I sit next to Kie.
"So, Your my best friend and your looking out for me?" I question smirking. She laughs and turns to me.
"Yeah, I guess. I mean we've grown close, your the only girl here. Other from jj. Im the one you've hung out with the most. Well except from John b but I doubt you want him as a best friend." I chuckle and then we talk until the van stops and jj and me get out.
"Thanks guys." We say and they drive off. They brought us to jj's house. Im so not ready to meet my abusive father. We go in and see him passed out on the couch. Jj grabs my arms and guides us closer to him. He pushes him.
"Dad, dad wake up. Come on. Someone's here." The man or Luke groans and sits up threatening jj with his eyes. I clear my throat before talking.
"hi, uh, Luke so Uhm. Sixteen years ago you were with Charlie bell, and she gave birth to twins. Jj and Luna maybank." I say and he looks at jj then me confused.
"How do you know about that?"
"You gave up your rights for Luna and Charlie left Jj with you. We'll long story short a couple months ago Charlie passed away and left Luna a letter to come here."
"Why, I don't want another kid. I hate this ungrateful shit as it is." He says breaking my heart. My eyes fill with tears and I turn into Jj who hugs me and looks to our father.
"This is your daughter, dad. My twin." He says coldly and Luke kicks something.
"Why would you bring her here! You know I can't handle another kid! I already owe 30k thanks to you!"he shouts and hits Jj who's lip begins to bleed. He then hits me in the eye and Jj doesn't say anything and just shields me and runs out of the house. He grabs a motorcycle helmet, putting it on my head. He grabs a dirt bike. Gets on and gestures for me to get on behind him. I do then we dive off. When we stop we're at the Cameron's and I sigh. Jj gets off the bike and takes the helmet off of me. He wipes the tears that are still streaming down my face.
"Hey. Hey, your okay. Your fine, your fine." He whispers soothingly. I hug him and kiss him on the cheek.
"I love you jay." I say looking up at him and he smiles.
"I love you to, Luna." I hand him the helmet but he shakes his head.
"Keep it I'll come get you for breakfast tomorrow." I smile and hug him again before going inside. Once I'm in I hear the bike start and slowly fade.
I head upstairs and check Sarah's room and she's asleep so I just go to my room and go to bed.