mistakes like this

Counting down the days, Noah has marked up a whole four weeks on his calendar with a black marker, crossing off each day that's gone by with a single line.

He took another gulp from the glass he held with one hand and let the marker he held on the other hand fall to the floor, grimacing at the taste of his drink.
Whiskey really was not tasteful.

It was pretty late, the clock on his stove reading 1:50 am.
He washed down the taste of alcohol with a popsicle that he had left on his kitchen counter, which was laying on a paper napkin to avoid any spilled sugary mess.

Fuck, he really did not think things would go this way.
Drinking has become...some sort of coping mechanism now. Reading away at his favorite books didn't seem to do much justice anymore.

Working at that damn café and coming home to such an empty feeling has really done something to him.
Lately everything seemed to crash down slowly but too quickly on him, as much as he would deny it to anyone who asked. Aka his coworkers and family.

Honey was sleeping soundly on her dog bed, and Noah was somehow feeling a little more lonely by that.

Hah, that always happened, he thought.

Drinking was like a medicine of some sort, but it always made him feel needy for some sort of affection or communication.

"Well, Noah. You certainly are pathetic," he mumbled to himself and braced himself for another gulp from his nasty drink.
It burned his throat, made his body feel lighter and his brain run course much messier.

He couldn't even keep track of how much he drank, though he was sure it could have been more than three shots by now.
He grew used to the feeling, and though he wasn't of age to drink, he found his ways to keep his growing addiction. Thinking about how he got away with this caused him to facepalm and slowly run his hand down his own face.

Noah would never believe he would end up stealing fucking alcohol from the grocery stores around this stupid city.

Not having friends around where he lived really did him numbers.
Only other way he could get drinks was if he; for some fucking reason, visited his cousins, which was occurring more than he wanted to. A couple of them suspected of his heightening issue with alcohol, and as much as they asked about it or seemed wary of letting him buy alcohol off of them, he would simply shrug it all off and tell them he's sharing it with his roommate, for fun.
Of course he wouldn't let them get close, going as far as lying to them just to keep anyone off his back.
He would lie a lot now to his family.
The roommate that supposedly lived with him was now gone.

With a pained frown he shook away those thoughts, not wanting to get any more upset while he's drunk because who knows what the fuck he could get himself into when that happened.

A notification from his forgotten phone on the same counter as the popsicle finally got him out of his growing frustrating thoughts.
He picked it up, a little too quickly than he'd like himself to, and involuntary his frown turned into a surprised smile.

It was Cody...

'I can't sleep'

That was the only text.
He figured Cody assumed that Noah was asleep by now.
Usually Cody would almost spam him when he knew Noah was near his phone.

Although Noah's vision was not very clear, his boyfriend's text looking almost too blurry enough to read for him as he adjusted to the screen's brightness, he couldn't help but type away, hoping Cody wouldn't fall back asleep any time soon.

"me neither."

Good enough "Noah" type of text, he assumed.
He didn't want to come off as too needy, anyways. How embarrassing would it be for him to let his drunkness fuck with his texting that way, showing a more emotional side?
As much as the altered state of mind wanted him to ask why Cody couldn't sleep, want to comfort this guy, even tell him he wishes he was cuddling up next to him-