Chapter 15: The Family We Used To Be

In the weeks that followed, activity in the student council room became scarce. With final exams looming overhead, writing club meetings trickled to a stand still. Lunch gatherings were affected, with the first year students showing up less and less due to remedial studies in the library. The lack of contact and overabundance of studying had left Ken feeling overworked. The only reprieve came after classes were over. Like clockwork, he would make his way downstairs just in time to catch Sonya at her locker and the two continued their habit of walking to the train station together. However, to Ken's surprise, Sonya made no effort to discuss the unplanned meeting with her aunt. Instead, she opted to avoid the subject entirely while shying away from any conversation about the impending summer vacation. Stella, Mary, and Lucas had all confirmed that they would attend and the anticipation was fast reaching a breaking point.

Soon the final bell of the trimester rang, signaling the beginning of the summer break and after spending the weekend cleaning the club rooms, the students were ready for the well deserved rest. The following Monday came at a pace too sluggish for Ken and he found himself yawning from a slight lack of sleep as he stood by the train station platform. The sun had recently risen and he was now waiting for the girls to arrive from their dorm. Just as he finished his elongated stretch, a familiar voice called out to him.

"Sleepy as usual. But, I am surprised to see you standing at such an early hour during summer break."

With a casual smile, Mary waved as she approached, pulling a luggage bag on wheels behind her. Looking from his smaller gym duffel bag to hers, Ken made a flat stare as he replied.

"Isn't your bag a little big for just five days?"

"Boys... Lucas had the same sentiment when he saw my packing list. While we have to wear uniforms on school property, once we arrive at the beach it is a different story. So with my individual outfits and my... swimwear... a bag this size is both adequate and expected."

Mary took a dignified pose as she adjusted her glasses. Letting a small smile show, Ken shrugged as he placed a hand atop his bag. While it sounded like Mary had put thought into hers, his bag contained a few clothes, his trusty gym wear, a pair of swimming trunks, and his handheld gaming console. Sliding the bag behind his back as if to hide his shame, Ken tried to change the topic.

"You are always prepared... So where are Lyra and Stella? Did they not walk with you... Did Lyra sleep in?"

At the mention of their underclassmen, Mary's expression became one of puzzlement.

"Did she not tell you? They left earlier than I did, apparently. I imagine that they have already caught the train."

The new information made Ken pause. Had Lyra said something to him, he wondered as he tried to recall. Yet, as he did, he realized that he hadn't really seen much of the girl since she barged into his room last time. Shaking his head slightly, he looked to Mary and spoke.

"Is that so... I guess we should get going then."

Ken pivoted in place as Mary stifled a concerned look and flowed behind him. Within a few minutes, they had scanned their passes and were boarding the train. The soft hum of mechanical whirring followed by closing doors let the students know that they were on their way. As they sat near each other on a bench, Ken leaned his chin on his palm and watched the trees pass outside while his mind shifted back to his sister.

"No making a face like that today."

The order caught him by surprise as Ken looked over to see Mary smiling at him. Ken shrugged his shoulders and straightened his posture before responding.

"Sorry, you're right. It's going to be a fun day after all."

"Haha..."

An uncharacteristic laugh escaped Mary's lips and she quickly placed her hand over her mouth. Seeing Ken's watchful gaze, she clasped her hands and cheerily spoke.