Chapter 17: Is Fun In The Sun

The faint shadows of seafaring birds darted across the now scalding ground as Ken and the others teetered hastily back towards the welcoming shade of the parasols. After dipping their feet into the cool shallows, the sand that had guided them down the beach was now causing them to hop from leg to leg in order to avoid being burned. To make matters worse, it had become apparent that the sun would have other plans for them if they neglected to prepare. Taking a momentary break, the students took refuge and prepared their means of sun protection.

With an unceremonious slam, Sonya plopped onto a towel near Ken and reached for a nearby bottle of sunscreen. Her hand nearly brushed against his as she plucked it from his grasp and started to delicately apply it to her legs. Ken made no attempt to hide his frustration as he shot a flat stare at Sonya. Yet, as he squinted without his glasses to bring her into focus, he was naturally drawn to her elongated fingers as she gingerly guided the tips across her porcelain shins.

"You're such a creepy weasel today."

The stern voice snapped him out of his oblivious gazing and he was quickly met with a glare as Sonya tossed the sunscreen bottle in his direction. The bottle fell with a dull sound atop Ken's towel while Sonya moved her hands to shield her legs from his view. Realizing his folly, Ken's cheeks turned a soft pink as he tried to explain himself.

"I'm just waiting to use the sunscreen! I wasn't looking at you like that..."

"L-like what?"

Just as his voice trailed off, Sonya was quick to nervously inquire. A few seconds passed as the two locked eyes.

"Are you guys done yet!? I wanna swim!"

Providing a much appreciated segue, Lyra's voice interjected as she approached while waving her arm wildly in the air. Soon after, Stella joined her side with a small container in her hand.

"Lyra, aren't you going to put on sunscreen?"

"That stuff? No way! Ken always burns, but I am going to get an awesome tan this year!

Not noticing the awkward atmosphere that they had encroached on, the girls went back and forth as Lyra vehemently rejected Stella's attempts to apply the protectant. Quickly applying his own, Ken was about to intercede when Lucas called out from the shoreline.

"Hey, the water is great! Someone should help Mary, though. I think Maddy is going to drown her!"

The group turned their heads to confirm Lucas' appraisal. A few feet in the water, Maddy could be seen straddling Mary's back while gripping her hair. To the untrained eye, it might seem that Mary was offering the small girl a ride. However, the gasps and yells echoing across the beach painted a much clearer picture. Stifling their smiles, the group raced down the beach and Lyra wasted no time in jumping into the water and swimming out to assist her upperclassmen.

With the situation resolved, Ken, Stella, and Sonya stood in the tide and basked in the pleasant wind that was rolling in from the ocean. Ready to join his friends, Ken took a step forward when a thought crossed his mind and made him hesitate. Turning to Stella and Sonya, he spoke with a serious expression.

"You can swim, right? I know Lyra and the others can, but I wanted to check."

Sonya's eyes widened momentarily as his consideration, but hastily narrowed as she questioned his intentions.

"Are you serious right now? Did you really think that cliché would work? 'Aw, shucks! I can't swim, can you teach me?' You are the worst scum!"

Sonya's voice raised in pitch as she quoted what she envisioned as a damsel in distress. Resuming her normal prickly tone, her mouth contorted into a grimace and tried to pierce Ken with her glare and awaited his response. It was then that she noticed that Ken's attention was not focused on her, but on the girl standing behind her instead. Pivoting on her heel, Sonya saw that Stella was shuffling uncomfortably in place.