Chapter 25: Morning After The Rain

Even in sleep, Sonya still managed to infiltrate Ken's dreams and overwhelm his senses. Images of her calm smile replayed before his eyes while the softness of her hand danced across his fingertips. Every giggle, every glance, every blush drew him deeper as he became submerged in his memories. Yet, just as he had lost track of the world around him, a faint sweet scent caused his eyes to open slightly.

The familiar sitting room was now illuminated as rays of sunlight peeked in through the drapes of windows that had been drawn the night before. This gave Ken no concern as his thoughts were still steeped in the area between dream and reality. Just how long had it been since he had last had a dream in which he had no control? With the dream quickly dissipating, he lamented not having a notebook to record it. However, he disregarded the idea as words wouldn't be able to contain the feelings that had awakened in him.

It was at this moment that the softness under his cheek caught his attention. Still half asleep, he opened his eyes fully to see that his head was resting upon Sonya's and that her hair was responsible for both the feeling against his cheek and the pleasant scent that was filling his nose. He instinctively wanted to pull away, but from her gentle breathing he could tell that Sonya was still sleeping. Having half expected her to be sprawled out, as she had done many times, it was curious to see her in the same position as the night before. As Ken mused on the cause of her apparent peace, the appearance of the situation he was in dawned on him. The quickening sound of his heart beating reverberated through his throat as he began to glance around the room in a panic.

His eyes didn't make it far before landing on a nearby chair that definitely was not there when he went to sleep. His blood chilled as he made out the form of a raven haired woman and reached for his glasses to confirm his fears. His jostling made the girl resting on his shoulder yawn and rub her eyes in response.

"Hueee... Huh! Sorry! Was I slobbering on your shoulder... So gross-"

"Sonya...It's your... mom..."

Ken's voice was filled with an apologetic fear as his glasses revealed a pair of penetrating purple eyes and a devilish smile on the woman's face. Wearing a burgundy blouse and black pencil skirt with matching nylons, Charlotte sat with her legs crossed while holding a small saucer containing a single teacup. Her aura was dominating as she gently placed her dishes upon the table close to the couch where Ken and Sonya sat unable to move. With an almost giddy voice, she broke the silence.

"'Mom'? Oh, well, I see someone is more informed than when we met last time. Did you both have a good rest?"

Her sweet tone made Ken uneasy as his hand stiffened around Sonya's. As he considered extricating himself, Sonya lunged forward with a wild look in her eyes before loudly exclaiming.

"W-what are you doing here?! You can't just watch us sleep like that!"

Her pupils darted as she examined her mother for any signs of what might come. However, Charlotte answered her with a simple smile and dismissively waved.

"Now, now, I was planning on coming here anyway. When I heard that you had a guest over, I took an earlier flight so that I could greet you properly. Now that that's done with, I think that after getting caught having a sleepover with a boy, I should be telling you to go to your room."

Although her tone maintained its sugary glaze, Charlotte's eyes settled into a stern glare that made Ken stay silent as Sonya stammered against it.

"B-but-"

"Sonya."

Unable to rebel, Sonya gritted her teeth and slowly let go of Ken's hand. As the absence of her heat made his skin feel cold, Ken watched as his underclassman stormed from the room with a bitter scowl on her face. A small pain echoed in his heart as he turned to face Charlotte and lowered his head. A surprised look came over the woman's face as Ken called out in a formal voice.