Chapter 22: An Autumn Wind Arrives

The budding signs of the new season were fast becoming apparent. With the decrease in humidity came a more temperate air and Ken tugged at the sleeve of his shirt while a calm breeze rustled his hair. Soon it would be time to switch to warmer uniforms, he thought while he watched a train car pull into the campus station. It had taken all of his resolve to hide his intentions throughout the last week as he waited for the weekend to arrive. Now, under the guise of meeting to discuss the writing club, he was going to surprise Sonya with an invitation to a promotion for her favorite video game.

Within a few minutes, the small frame of the girl in question alighted the train and Ken gulped as she approached.

"H-hey!"

"Huh? Why are you acting like a creep?"

Her initial reply made him hesitate as she closed the distance between them. Looking down, Ken could see Sonya's critical stare which caused him to nervously retort.

"What do you mean!"

"Look how stiff you are, your back is all rigid. Plus your eyes are all weasel-y. You really need to work on your appearance."

Extending her finger, Sonya pointed at each piece of evidence as she elaborated. Every appraisal stung like a dagger as Ken evaluated his reason for meeting with her.

"What was I thinking..."

Confused by his words, Sonya quickly replied in a defensive tone.

"What was that? Did the weasel want to say something?"

Facing his palms to her, Ken tried to downplay before the annoyed expression on her face worsened.

"I don't know why I was so nervous. At least you seem like you're in a good mood this morning."

Still watching suspiciously, Sonya turned her head to the side as she spoke in a haughty tone.

"Why would you be nervous about a few edits? Jeez, you worry about the smallest things. I am in a good mood though. I'm going over to the girls dorm after this to make Lyra and Stella watch scary movies. Heh... heh..."

Breaking eye contact while chuckling to herself, Ken thought that she seemed almost demonic in her excitement. Although he felt bad for his sister and Stella, he decided to try and transition the conversation.

"Well... kinda on the same subject..."

His awkward behavior made Sonya meet his eyes. It was a rare occurrence for him to become so nervous, she thought while listening intently.

"You know the new Dark Olympia comes out this year... and... well... they are doing promotions and they actually happen to be coming here on the weekend of Halloween..."

"ARE YOU SERIOUS! I totally gotta go!"

Sonya's loud outburst made Ken stumble backwards as distant passersby glanced over in concern. Giddily bouncing from leg to leg while feigning small kicks, her winsome grin made Ken smile before continuing.

"Glad that you're so excited, but tickets are already sold out."

In a complete turnaround, Sonya's face grew grim as she stared at him with ill intent.

"JERK! What's up with messing with me like that!? Just give me the edits so I can go!"

The volume of her voice transferred her anger. She wasn't sure why Ken was acting this way, but she felt like he was making fun of her. Just as she started to turn her back on him, Ken called out in a sporadic tone to stop her.

"Hold on for a second! There aren't actually any edits-"

"What!? Why'd you make me get out here so early then!"