Chapter 23: Finding The Line

The mechanical rattling of the train car caused Ken to grab the edge of his seat to brace himself. It was nearing sundown and the drop in temperature made the wheels groan as the metal surfaces sheer against one another. Glancing down at his hands, Ken saw the burgundy sleeves of his hooded jacket contrasted beside the blue denim jeans that he was wearing. He wasn't normally one to be concerned with fashion, but today was no ordinary day, he thought to himself. As the synthetic lights overhead reflected off of his glasses, the events that led to this situation played in his head.

A few days prior, at Lucas' behest, everyone was planning to meet in the student council room. After the grueling midterm exam week, Astaril Academy's usual schedule was an early release on Thursday and an additional day off on Friday. However, five tired students found themselves together Thursday afternoon while impatiently waiting for their missing member. After an inordinate amount of time, Mary turned to Lyra and inquired flatly.

"Where is Sonya at?"

With dampened spirits, Lyra checked her phone as she nonchalantly replied.

"Not sure... She was in the group text."

"She was with us in class..."

Stella chimed in as all eyes naturally turned to Ken.

"Don't look at me... she hasn't been very talkative with me lately."

Waving his hands defensively, his eyes became downcast as he spoke. Yet, Lucas quickly interjected to keep the conversation afloat.

"I wonder why that is? Haha! Well we can fill her in later. With midterms all finished, I wanted to call us together to announce that... We won! After a hard fought campaign, I have been elected student council president! They are going to release the results next week, but I wanted to tell you guys first."

Although Stella had a gentle smile at the news, Ken and Lyra shared a deflated expression. Mary hastily turned to Lucas to berate him.

"I told you this was too theatrical. We ran unopposed. Everyone is exhausted from testing and most likely ready for a break."

"Weren't you the one who said to treat this like an actual election?"

Ken addressed Mary with a raised eyebrow and she met him with a less than cordial stare. Just as it seemed that the two might bicker, the doors to the room were flung open as Sonya barged into the room at a fast pace. Clutching a folded paper, she heaved as she was out of breath, but still managed to chortle out.

"We did it! It really happened! I-"

Stopping herself short, Sonya met Ken's eyes before turning to the side and quieting down.

"That's the reaction I was going for! Thank you!"

With an appreciative clap, Lucas danced in place as Stella giggled before calling out.

"You're really excited about the news, Sonya!"

Sonya made a confused look, but quickly stifled it and replied in a wavering voice.

"Uhh... Yeah...You know...It's whatever..."

Her eyes filling with light, Lyra let a sinister smile roost on her face as she set her sights on Sonya.

"Hmm... Fufufu! Lucas was just telling us that he won the student council election. But... there is no way that you would have known that already... So... what has our little Sonya so excited?"

Stiffening her posture, Sonya gave Lyra a piercing grimace that only made the girl smile wider. Seeing that there would be no easy way out, Sonya adamantly responded.