Chapter 16: The Best Way To Beat The Heat

The sound of running water hummed from the kitchen as delicious smells wafted through the beach house. Having woken up only recently, Ken stood in the living room with a towel draped across his shoulders as he waited to use the shower. He had considered helping his mom and Mary in the kitchen. However, a peculiar sight kept him anchored in place.

Sprawled across the couch, Sonya had extended one of her legs above the rear cushion while her arms and head dangled off the edge. With her hair invertedly tousled, the girl appeared to be enjoying her slumber as a winsome smile exposed itself on her face amongst a small sliver of drool. Observing his underclassman, Ken shook his head as the familiar scene made him sigh. Reaching out his hand, he thought to jostle her awake gently. Yet, as he did, his eyes were drawn to her midsection. Sonya was wearing a light pink shirt and matching pajama pants that had become disheveled and had left her belly exposed. Stopping his hand mid air, Ken felt a surge of heat fill his face as a sing songy voice whispered in his ear.

"Aww, I see you're enjoying some morning ogling."

Shivering in response, Ken instinctively moved away from the voice and turned to see the source. Hair still damp from her shower and wearing a light blue shirt and cream colored running shorts, Lyra answered his quizzical expression with a beaming smile prompting Ken to stammer out a reply.

"W-what! I-I was not-"

"It's okay, Big brother!"

Interrupting his attempt at forming an excuse, Lyra gave him a sly look that made him hesitate as she continued.

"I understand, Sonya is so prickly all the time. You just couldn't help yourself when she shows off her tummy! Seriously, it's like watching a kitty roll on its back."

Her eyes glazed over as Lyra dropped to her knees in front of the sofa and stared closely at Sonya's belly with a dreamy expression. As his sister's words sank in, Ken pursed his lips and placed a hand on her shoulder and spoke in a serious tone.

"Lyra... you're kind of a pervert, aren't you?"

Turning her head and exposing her tongue, Lyra replied in a matter-of-fact voice.

"I'm just doing what you were doing. Except, I'm not turning pink! Who is the pervert exactly?"

Ken straightened his back as he realized that Lyra was right. As he tried to stifle another blush, he looked at his sister and quickly called out.

"Don't touch her, Lyra!"

From the kitchen, Mary could faintly hear their conversation and she smiled quietly to herself. Pushing the window near the sink open, a cool breeze washed over her while she wiped her head against her arm. Continuing to address the dishes in the sink, a thought entered her head and she glanced over at Delilah who was busy whisking eggs near the stovetop. As if sensing her, Ken's mother smiled gently as she called out.

"Is everything okay, Mary?"

Jolting in place, Mary furiously scrubbed the dish in her hands as she replied in a timid voice.

"Oh, well, I was just thinking that Ken and Lyra sound like they are back to normal. I'm glad that they could settle whatever issues they had yesterday."

Delilah skillfully folded the egg mixture into a hot pan without looking away. Mary could tell that the woman was used to cooking for multiple people and felt an awe of respect. Still focused on her work, Delilah replied in a sweet voice as she reminisced.

"You know, those two have never been able to fight for long... One time when Ken was six, he told Lyra that she looked like a penguin. Haha... she disagreed..."