Hades

a/n: hi, this chapter is dark. Be aware of following warnings: mention and description of sexual and physical abuse, abusive relationships, sleep disorders, anxiety
Stay safe <3

-

"Jesus Christ, woman! Hurry up! I don't have all day to wait around here." I heard Daniel yell from the cash register.

We went grocery shopping for the party tonight at his friend's house. I thought it would be a good idea to bring some snacks as I wasn't sure if we would eat there. Daniel left me the second we entered the store, probably needing his space.

He's been edgy since he came back from his job last night. Usually, he doesn't stay that long at work, but somehow he came back two hours later yesterday. I tried to talk to him, but he said he doesn't want to.

I smiled at him quickly, rushing over to where he already waited for me. "Sorry, I needed to grab a few more things," I said, a little out of breath.

"Are you done?" he asked, but I knew he didn't ask me if I was done shopping but if I was done talking so that we could get out of here as soon as possible. I quietly nodded.

The cashier - Jason - was an old friend of Steve. They hung out a lot in Steves's "secret" tree house when they were younger, but somehow their friendship grew apart.

He had worked here for a couple of years now, and he was one of the few people I knew who enjoyed their job. He was always smiley and kind to all of his customers, and I admired that about him.

"Oh, these are amazing! You should get more of them. The price won't stay that low all week." Jason said as he saw the chips I bought and smiled.

I gave him a smile in return. "I haven't tasted them yet, but I keep that in mind!" I chuckled, packing them into the bag I used to bring when I went grocery shopping.

"You should. Best chips I've ever had. The ones with ketchup are also-"

"Can we pay?" My boyfriend interrupted him, his tone condescending.

Jason went quiet, and I gulped.

I felt ashamed, looking at Daniel and then back to Jason. I mouthed "sorry" to him and handed him twenty dollars.

He kept quiet as he put the change onto the little piece of glass on the cash register, his smile gone by now.

I took the change and smiled at him. "Have a nice day," I said softly, but Jason kept quiet, already moving on to the next customer.

Daniel and I made our way out of the store. I carried the bags, which were lighter than usual, and he calmed his nerves by smoking a cigarette on the way home.

I tried to help him quit, but as soon as I wasn't looking, he started smoking again. Now he doesn't even hesitate to bring a cigarette to his mouth in my presence, even though I hated the smell and told him to please not do this when I'm around. But who am I to tell him that?

Three hours later, we were at his friends' house. I've been here a few times before.

His name was Chad. He lived with his parents in this huge mansion. His dad was a successful lawyer, and his mum was a teacher. Although his parents had money, they didn't share any with him. The only advantage he had from his parents' wealth was his room on the second floor of this house. Other than that, he'd never seen just a penny from them.

Right now, they were on a cruise ship for two weeks, enjoying their time without a son to take care of. That's why he invited his friends over. Daniel, Lucas, Joey, and me - even though I wasn't really a friend.