03 | she kissed me

Chapter three:

"Hey! That was my dinner!" Ria pouted, irritated as Blaine strolled past her, directly into the kitchen after she had unlocked the front door. He immediately snatched the two remaining digestive biscuits in the packet on the kitchen counter and ravished them in two simple bites.

"So, Reid was right, huh? You do need supervision if you're eating biscuits for dinner. You're gonna have scurvy by the time he gets back."

Ria hauled herself onto the countertop of the kitchen surface. "You know, I appreciate you coming over every day. But you genuinely don't need to inconvenience yourself every single evening. I'm sure there's plenty of other things you could be doing with your Saturday evening."

"Honestly, you're probably right, but," He stopped mid-sentence and made a gentle tapping motion over his jean pockets until he found the outline of his phone. He grinned up at the phone, presumably using face ID to unlock it, then flipped it over to Ria, showing her the last message. She squinted her eyes until the screen came into perfect focus, and a string of texts from Reid asking how Ria was came into view.

Ria sighed exasperatedly. The overprotective brother act was starting to bother her. Still, she shook her head, knowing that nothing she said or even did would make Reid see her as the well-accomplished young woman she was becoming. Instead, she changed the topic. "So, how was the club last night?"

Blaine chuckled. His olive-toned hand gently rubbed the stubble over the left side of his angulated jawline. "We went to Unit Seventeen - had a couple of beers, listened to some good old RnB, and then out of the blue, Hazel...she tries to kiss me."

Ria feigned shock as she glanced at him. "No fucking way."

"You know, it's a good thing you didn't choose an acting vocation because that," he pointed at her facial expression, "was terrible. Did you encourage her?" He asked, curiosity lining his every word.

"I didn't discourage her if that's what you mean. And even so, she's an adult capable of her own decisions. I don't see anything wrong with her shooting her shot." She paused, scanning his reaction, but when no response came, she continued. "I take it her shot was unsuccessful?"

"I mean, she's not a bad kisser."

"I sense a but coming."

Blaine chortled. His hand flew up to his messy earth-toned mane as he spoke, fixing it into place. "But nothing, I'm just not interested. Is that okay with you?" The young girl rolled her eyes, jumped off the countertop and sauntered to the fridge. "How about a Deliveroo, Ri-Ri?" He inquired.

Ria had her back to Blaine but giggled quietly. "Nobody's called me that in years." She remembered idolising the RnB singer when she had been a mere girl and even taking singing classes religiously. Until the day, her parents had decided that Ria would suit a job in law more. Given the similarities between her name and the artist, she was jokingly called Ri-Ri as a child. "Yes - to the takeaway. Pizza?"

"What's your poison?"

"Veggie sizzler with extra jalapenos, please."

He simpered at her before placing the order. "So, since we're spending so more time together, tell me something new. Tell me about the new job?"

"Work is good. I mean, it's only been three months since I graduated, but I think I'm making good progress at the firm. It's always nice to have your own income instead of relying on dad's old clothing business. Oh, and Reid's money. Even though he still babies me regardless."

"He has good intentions, you know. I think everything with your dad...and then your mum leaving. I think it messed him up," Blaine explained but didn't quite meet Ria's eyes as he spoke.