12 | hit-and-run

Chapter Twelve:

"He was actively trying to sabotage me," Ria argued as she squeezed through the hustle-and-bustle of Bicester village. The village was home to one of England's largest designer outlet shopping centres. And was also one of the few places the girls found themselves escaping to when they fancied feigning a rich lifestyle for a morning or an afternoon.

"Oh, Ria. It really doesn't sound like sabotage to me. It sounds like he was trying to protect you from what could've become a potentially dangerous situation." Indiya attempted to sip at her iced vanilla macchiato. But she had Hazel tugging at her arm, desperate to get into the Valentino store, whilst Ria was hanging on her left arm, complaining about Blaine's latest antics. Indiya was sure that the contents of her drink had halved from the way it had splashed out by the sudden opposing movements of either girl. "Honestly, it just sounds like he was trying to help you."

"Who's side are you on, Indiya?" Ria suddenly let go of the girl's arm, her stance altering as she firmly placed her hand on her hip in an almost confrontational manner. "If I had known I was agreeing to spend a day in the presence of Blaine's fan club, I would've cancelled."

Indiya offered a weak smile, "Ria, you know full well I don't take sides. I just say what I think is right, that's all. And in my honest opinion, I don't think Blaine was wrong."

"Ria, please! Are we even going to do any shopping today? We've spent the last hour listening to you go on and on and on about Blaine. You talk about him an awful lot for someone who claims to dislike the man!" Hazel moaned, infuriated that the three were still standing outside the Valentino store instead of inside, acting as if they had the funds to purchase anything.

Ria gasped in return, "I do not!"

Indiya and Hazel shared a knowing look, "What Haze means is that...maybe he's growing on you? You have spent the last, what? Two and a half weeks together?" Indiya considered her words carefully for a moment. "I don't think this is even about you being upset about what he did or didn't do. I think a part of you has started to care for him, and that's why he's been the centre of our conversation for the whole day."

"I feel insulted." Ria clapped back, half serious, half-jokingly. "Actually, I feel betrayed that my friends could say such an absurd thing."

Indiya calmly situated her hands on Ria's shoulder and all but pushed the unwilling girl into the store. "Blaine is a good guy. Trust me. I would know."

Ria found those simple three words uttered by Indiya playing on her mind for the remainder of the morning, more than she would ever have cared to admit.

She continued shopping with her girls, laughing at all the right moments, and even uttering a few meaningless words here and then, but mentally she had checked out. Her mind refused to budge from Indiya's words - "I would know."

Ria desperately attempted to plead with her rational side; it was nothing. A few meaningless words that Indiya had said to convince Ria that Blaine had good intentions.

But something was off. Ria felt it deep in the pit of her stomach.

"Ri-ri? Hello? Ria!" Hazel roared, hands waving in front of the unaware girl's face. Several pensioners seated behind the girls appeared bewildered by Hazel's yell. They began peeking around, wondering where the ruckus was coming from.

"Huh? What? What happened?" Ria nearly jumped out of her seat in response. She glanced around, realising that they had since left the store and were now in a quaint café.

"Uh, the waitress came to take our order, but you went all That's so Raven on her. Full-on looking into the future or something," Hazel exclaimed as she allowed herself to become reacquainted with her seat.