08 | anything to win

Chapter Eight:

"As you all know - and I'm sure have all been impatiently anticipating – today is the day we will announce the best new intern in the firm. We have been watching and assessing you constantly over the last six months. We have scrutinised all your assignments and monthly case trial performances." Miss McQueen spoke carefully into the mic on the wooden podium as she glanced down at the five apprentices seated eagerly on a semi-circular table.

Miss McQueen's ginger hair cascaded down in soft ringlets above her shoulders. Her hair starkly contrasted her holiday-tanned skin, every inch of her presence mesmerising the interns in front of her. For there were few things as mesmerising as a woman in power.

Ria tapped her pen against her temple rhythmically as she listened in awe. She sighed internally as she regretted her lack of effort over the last ten days since Reid had left for Bali. Her night of passion with Blaine transfixed her every waking thought. So much so that she had almost handed her latest assignment in late.

But, nonetheless, she had been meticulous with the twenty-five prior assignments she had had to hand in over the past six months. Achieving not only above average but in the top ten percent of her group in each one. She had managed to put through excellently constructed arguments for each example case. Even though she wasn't always correct in her reasoning, she had proved to be every bit as observant and even ruthless when required.
Metaphorically speaking, she'd licked every one of her seniors' assholes.

She averted her gaze to her four competitors who sat up looking every bit as prim and proper as she did – Avril, Aakash, Ninetta and Gabe.

Ninetta was the niece of Miss McQueen and, unfortunately for the rest of them, had topped the class on several occasions. Whether that was due to nepotism or actual academic excellence was questioned on many occasions – never in front of Miss McQueen, though.

However, today as Ria sat, she hoped the relationship would have little to no bearing on selecting the best apprentice in the room.
It would be an excellent opportunity for Ria - a step up in the corporal ladder, so to speak. It would be her way into a pupillage and then the Bar.
She could only imagine how proud her father would be.

She noticed that Rocco Bayes kept peeking over at her from her peripheries. Rocco was one of the training barristers who had gotten into the Bar less than two years ago. The same way that Ria and her colleagues were attempting to now.
He stroked his beard with his right hand as he continued to eye-ball the apprentices, likely reminiscing his own times, seated around that same table.

He had a clean look about him. He wore a pleated blue suit, the ends of his trousers a tad too short, allowing his inappropriate for-the-season Christmas socks to peek out from the bottom.

Ria noticed Miss McQueen strutting out of the room, every step oozing authority. She said something about the interns enjoying their sponsored lunch before giving the result.

"May the best intern win," Aakash spoke, his eyes glued to Ninetta, a knowing glimpse on his face.

"It's me. I'm the best intern." Avril responded confidently.

Gabe scoffed in response. "You?! It would be you if the firm was looking to hire a completely incompetent barrister."

Ria withdrew herself from the bickering around her. She cruised over to the perfectly laid out buffet table, and plucked the giant spoon dipping it into the red punch, filling her plastic cup. She took a sip before spluttering it out, surprised at the taste of alcohol.

"Hey, Aslan, isn't it? Ria Aslan?" A rather nasally male voice disrupted her. She swivelled around and realised it belonged to Rocco.

"Hi. Yeah, it's Ria. Nice to meet you, Rocco." She offered her hand in a confident handshake, to which Rocco smirked and accepted. "I wasn't sure you knew who I was." She explained.