36:1 | stop the car

TW: Depictions of drug use and dangerous driving.

Chapter Thirty-Six (Part One):

Three Years Earlier:

"Alright, mate, you've made your point now. Hands off!" Reid barked at the bouncer, who had narrowly missed slinging Indiya to the floor to remove the unduly intoxicated girl from the club premises.

"Reid, he's just doing his job. Leave it." Blaine hissed through pursed lips as he grabbed one hand of Indiya whilst Reid grasped the other, toting her up. It never ceased to astound Blaine how much heavier a person was once they'd ingested half their bodily fluid in ethanol.

"He didn't need to get so handsy though with her, did he?" Reid retaliated; his eyes were heavily drooped, and his words slurred as he spoke. The weekly pledge he made about quitting alcohol never quite took heed.

"She did spend the last half an hour going around and spanking random people in the club." Blaine disputed, but he couldn't fight the lingering smile curling upon his lips at the faint memory. "Look, let's just be thankful nobody got hurt. Let's get out of here."

"What about the others?" Indiya spoke up, the alcohol still surging through her veins and compelling her to slip and slide every second step as the boys endeavoured to propel her onto the sidewalk.

"Never mind them; I think we should start making our way back." Blaine encouraged, the pulsating beat of the music still throbbing in his ears.

The trio began their route home; Indiya's arm shrouded each boy's torso, supporting her hopping movements. She'd taken multiple tumbles in the club owing to her much too-high heels. Nonetheless, she'd gotten up and kept dancing. Still, without the relentless flashing lights, sweltering heat and head-bopping music, she was beginning to feel the niggling ache around her ankles and toes.

"Guys, I really need to pee." She whispered, her eyes closed, knowing the boys would be aggravated by the need to stop, verified by their combined groaning.

"Just hold it in. We're only ten minutes away now." Blaine mumbled.

"I can't," Indiya replied candidly. "I'll get a UTI if I hold it in any longer."

"Don't your parents live around here somewhere?" Reid asked Blaine. "Can't we stop there first? I need to sober up before I get home anyway, or dad will go berserk."

If the alcohol had had any impact on Blaine up until this juncture, the mere mention of his parent's house had undoubtedly waned it. "No, we can't go there. Just hold it in a little while longer."

"Please, Blaine. I'm desperate." Suddenly she regretted the final order of jager bombs the group had ordered. Not only for the influence it had on her bladder but also for the dent it'd have made in her bank account.

Blaine blew out an exasperated gust of air from between his lips. "Alright, but we go in; Indiya pisses, we get some water, and leave straight after. Ten minutes tops, okay?"

The two bobbed in agreement as they altered route, weaving through an abandoned alleyway until they reached the derelict road. Blaine was grateful that it was the dead of the night, and the condition of the unmaintained houses wasn't easily perceptible. It'd been years since Reid had last visited Blaine's parent's home when the boys had been sixteen, and thankfully, Indiya had never stepped foot in the house. He noticed the place was not illumined, meaning his parents were out and not making poor decisions in the lounge room. But it also meant that Ben was on his own again. Increasingly, that was becoming a good thing.

He jabbed the key into the lock, earning a groan from the ancient, creaky door as it staggered open. He bustled in hurriedly, hauling the lounge door shut, hoping the couple wouldn't notice.