28 | my lucky seventh

Chapter Twenty-Eight:

Blaine thought about retiring straight to bed that night.

But he'd already told Ria he'd wait up for her while she spoke to Indiya. Hazel and Indiya's revelation had left the group reeling; the lid of a seething pot had been dislodged, leaving a heat that had yet to be tamed. He knew he needed to rectify things with Ria before things exploded even further.

He crept down the hallway, halting briefly outside Indiya's room, hearing the soft utterances of Lydia and Ria. He recognised a familiar pair of laser-like green eyes staring through him from his peripheral vision, causing a shiver to run through his spine.

His eyes would take on a homely brown when calm, similar to Ria's orbs, and an emerald-coloured hue when more irate.

"You told me you wouldn't let me down again," Reid spoke quietly, still gaping at his best friend, "I told you that if you ever did anything like this again, it would be the end."

"I know." Blaine breathed, "And I'm sorry, but this is different. I didn't go out of my way to lie to you. After...after she asked me to come to the clinic with her, she told me you already knew. I thought it was strange that she asked me to go with her and not you, but I don't know how people cope with this sort of thing, so I just went along with it." He stopped, awaiting his friend's response, but when no answer came, he continued. "It wasn't until after that I realised she hadn't told you. She made me promise not to say anything, that she would tell you when she was ready. So, I kept quiet."

Reid nodded, and Blaine could tell he was pondering his words carefully. "Okay."

"Okay?"

"You're right. It is different. It's not your fault." Reid acknowledged, "This time, it was me who messed up. I think I've ruined everything." Reid exhaled a single shaky breath as he spoke.

"You know, it's not too late if you've changed your mind." He noted the bewildered expression on his friend's face. "The wedding. If you've changed your mind and you don't want to go ahead with it anymore. I can drive the getaway car out of here. You, me and Ria."

Reid chuckled. "I doubt Ria's going to want to come anywhere with me." He shook his head. "But I haven't changed my mind. I still want to marry Lydia. If she'll have me."

Blaine placed his hands against the balcony rail, leaning back to face Reid. "Right. But maybe...maybe you could slow down things a bit. Postpone the wedding for a few months or...a year or two." He added tactfully.

Reid took a moment. "I know it's happening fast. I know that. But it has nothing to do with Indiya...not anymore anyway." He turned his attention to Blaine. "I think I do love Lydia. You'll understand one day." And, then, he let out a soft chuckle. "Or, maybe you already do understand."

"What do you mean?"

"I know Indiya was upset when she said all that stuff, but it's true. There is someone, isn't there?"

Blaine shifted his weight from one foot to the other, scratching the back of his neck as he swerved his head to the side, avoiding making eye contact.

He recalled the way all those weeks ago; he'd tugged out the hair tie from her hair, the way her mane had outlined her face, emphasising her high cheekbones, and how her skin felt supple against his own when they'd kissed. The way his world had switched to slow-motion when she'd entered the hall in that orange dress on the night of Reid's engagement party. The way her eyes had been wild and wide once he'd helped her off the jet-ski. The way she'd been wholly invested in the game of chess with Ben even though he knew she didn't have any genuine interest in the game.