Inside Joke

Risa felt Leni slip away from her grasp yet again.

She could feel the coldness seep through her voice and actions. She didn't know if it was just her overthinking things because Leni still initiated cheek kisses whenever they would see each other, and she still addressed and talked to her the same way that she had since the campaign season started, but something changed with Leni after that Iloilo rally and she felt it.

It felt like she was putting up this wall around her. This newly-formed, stronger, more assertive boundary between her and Risa. The senator appreciated it. She was in a relationship, after all, but still, she didn't want their relationship to go back to square one — square one being talking only when necessary and being all uneasy around each other.

I have to do something about this before everything spirals down again.

It was only a month into the campaign period and a strained relationship with her presidential bet, whom she sees almost every day of every week, would not help anyone in the slightest.

So here was Risa, paper bag in hand, waiting for the morning team briefing to be over so she could give her peace offering to Leni. Not that she needed to offer peace or apologize for anything.

"Good morning, VP!" She greeted cheerfully as she approached Leni who was reading on her phone silently in her seat.

"Magandang umaga, Sen. Risa! Oh, ano 'yan?" Leni asked as Risa handed the paper bag. The younger woman urged her to look at it so she peeped in.

The vice president took out the item inside the paper bag and she couldn't stop the laughter bubbling in her throat. Risa smiled as soon as she saw Leni's reaction but she also felt a little embarrassed.

"Seryoso ka ba dito, Risa?"

"Oo nga, para sa'yo 'yan."

"Para saan? Trip mo lang ako bigyan nito?"

"Oo? I don't know, basta ayan. That's for you. Alam ko namang favorite mo 'yan."

Leni opened Risa's gift and took a piece, handing it to Risa. "Here."

"Oh, bakit mo ako binibigyan eh para sa'yo nga 'yan?"

"Trip ko lang din. Saka isang piraso ng Chocnut lang 'yan. Hanggang isa lang kasi akin na 'to."

"Wala talagang tatalo sa pagkahilig mo sa Chocnut. Inabot ko lang talaga 'yan, mauna na ako ha, tawag na ako ng staff eh. See you later, Leni! Ingat ka."

"Wait lang."

"Ano 'yun?"

"Thank you sa bigay mo. Alam na alam ang kahinaan ko. Iniisip mo sigurong galit ako kaya may pa-ganito ka 'no?" Leni laughed at Risa's shocked expression. "I'm not mad, Risa. Ikaw talaga. Ang tagal-tagal na no'n, para namang hindi pa tayo naka-move on parehas."

"Thank you, Leni," Risa exhaled in relief. "Sana hindi tayo awkward ulit?"

"Syempre naman hindi. Sige na, ayan na 'yung staff mo galit na. Tagal mo raw."

Risa rolled her eyes playfully and waved goodbye before walking away which made Leni chuckle. "Ingat, Sen. Risa. Thanks ulit, see you later!"

"Baka pagkakita ko sa'yo ulit, ubos mo na 'yan ha. Hinay-hinay lang."

It was Leni's turn to roll her eyes jokingly at Risa's remark then she waved goodbye. A grin broke out Risa's face as she got in her van on the way to the sortie. She was glad everything turned out to be fine.