How Are You?

They were okay.

They were civil and comfortable with each other. They have this professional but also friendly type of relationship. But out of nowhere, Risa noticed a pattern. One that had been recurring since the start of the campaign period and that she only took notice of after Leni held her hand in Cebu.

'Kumusta ka?' is a simple question. It doesn't need much thinking. A simple 'I'm fine' or 'I'm not fine' would suffice. But Risa and Leni were never like that with each other. When one would ask that question, it almost always ends up in an hour-long conversation, with one ranting and the other reassuring.

At least that was how they were years ago.

Not anymore, Risa thought. Why won't you tell me kung kumusta ka talaga?

Leni would always reply to her with shallow and vague answers. "Okay lang," then she'd proceed to talk about the campaign. Sometimes, she'd say something about the kids, or recent news, but never about herself. Not how she felt behind closed doors, how difficult the campaign was being for her, how anxious she was, nothing that would give Risa the slightest hint about how and what she was feeling.

The evening campaign meeting ended and Leni approached Risa, asking how she was. "Okay lang, VP. Another successful rally ha, ang daming tao. Ikaw, kumusta ka?"

"Okay lang ako, Sen." There it was again. Those two words that irked Risa so much because why was Leni not telling her anything? Okay lang. A part of her had come to despise those two words the more she heard it from Leni.

They were friends, they were okay. They've managed to come to this point — the point of comfort and friendliness with each other — and yet Risa felt so selfish because she didn't know how and what Leni truly felt.

Please open up to me, she wanted to tell her. Tell me how you're feeling and let me reassure you as I did before.

"Sure? Okay ka lang?" Risa asked. Everyone could see that for this particular rally, Leni wasn't at her A-game. Her fatigue was a lot more evident than it had been in the previous ones. She looked tired and was obviously sleepy. The bags under her eyes, though covered with concealer, were much more prominent. Every now and then, Risa noticed that she would yawn and try to cover up that yawn, eyes blinking slowly, wanting to close and rest.

"Yes, Sen. Risa. Okay lang ako," Leni smiled kindly, her eyes crinkling at the sides.

That's fake, Risa noted. That's a fake smile and I know you too well to know it.

But she didn't push it because if Leni wanted to tell her, she would, right?

The post-meeting dinner just ended and Cristopher, one of Leni's security and also one of her closest friends and allies, approached Leni who was sitting at the same table as Risa. He motioned for Leni to follow him outside and she did.

Risa was on her way to the restroom when she overheard the two talking.

"Puro na lang kampanya pinag-uusapan natin. Your kids are fine, tuloy ang H2H nila. Ikaw, kumusta ka?"

"Pwede ba, Christopher," Leni replied irritatingly. "Tanong nang tanong kung kumusta na, okay nga lang."

"Hindi ka okay. Ang iritable mo saka tignan mo nga 'yung eyebags mo. Ano'ng masama sa pagtatanong kung kumusta ka?"

Risa heard Leni sigh exasperatingly. "Pagod. Sobrang pagod," came the vice president's answer. "Pumasok ako sa laban na 'to pero hindi ko naman akalaing aabot sila sa point na pati 'yung mga anak ko dudumihan nila."