Go, Superstar

New York lifted her spirits.

Here, she wasn't a vice president currently packing up in her office, or a former presidential candidate currently under fire for the recent election outcome. Here, in a city miles away from her home, she was only Leni.

Leni, who's set to attend her younger daughter's graduation. Leni, who's spending a week here — the longest vacation she's ever had in six years (maybe more). Leni, who's only worries were ironing her daughters' clothes which they'll be using for the following days.

It was a much needed rest for all of them.

The sun wasn't up yet but she already was. The current live stream played on the television, a cup of coffee in her hand, and her phone beside her as she waited for Risa to arrive at the proclamation of senators.

She watched the familiar faces arrive, regret in her heart because her senatorial slate was supposed to be there. They were supposed to win. And instead, these were the same people and the same families all over again.

And then light appeared.

Perhaps 'liwanag sa dilim' wasn't meant for her, but it definitely was meant for Risa.

Risa arrived at the venue, hair in an elegant updo, together with her eldest son and his girlfriend. Leni smiled at the sight of the reelected senator smiling and talking to everybody. She knew Risa didn't want to be there, that she didn't want to be with those people, but she did anyway. Out of duty and sworn oath to the country.

Even when she wasn't there with the people she'd much rather have around her, this was still her dream. And Risa wasn't willing to let anyone or anything get in the way of her advocacies and plans for the country.

Go, superstar.

Pride swelled in her chest as she watched Risa deliver her speech. If only she was present there, she would have clapped the loudest — the same way that Risa had always done for her.

"Looking back at everything we went through, I cannot help but think that it is almost a miracle that I am standing before you today," Risa said.

It truly was a miracle. It shocked Leni too.  But then again, Risa knew how to play the game. She was charming, warm, and kind. Leni knew ever since the campaign that without a doubt, if they were all to lose the elections, Risa would be the only one not losing.

And she was right.

Risa ran for the senate in 2010 and 2013, and she lost both. In 2016, she finally won. And now, Risa won once again. Of all the people in the world, or in their world specifically, it was Risa who deserved it most. Leni loved that for her.

"Mga kasama, hindi iisa ang magiging liwanag natin. Hindi tayo naghahanap ng tila iisang kandilang may sindi sa kawalan.Bagkus, ituring natin ang bawat isa na mga alitaptap na sama-samang kumukutitap hanggang dumating ang bagong umaga. Let us look after each other. Walang iwanan. Tuloy ang laban."

Leni smiled to herself, her heart overjoyed with pride for Risa. She sipped her coffee and took her phone. "Watching your proclamation right now. Ang ganda ng speech mo. Congratulations, Senator Risa," she texted.

Leni went on with her day with her children, preparing for her youngest daughter's graduation. Before leaving their hotel to get breakfast, she received a reply from Risa.

"Hi, Leni! Hindi ba masyado kang maaga nagising para makapanood? But thank you, I appreciate na nanood ka. Also, speech ko lang?"

"Yes pero okay lang. Hindi pa naman ako masyadong nakakaadjust sa time. What do you mean na speech mo lang?"

"Sabi mo kasi ang ganda ng speech ko. Speech ko lang maganda?"

Leni laughed loudly, drawing attention from her daughters. She brushed them away saying she just found something funny online. "Syempre ikaw din."

"Ako din ano?"

From miles away, Leni could hear Risa's voice, teasing her. She shook her head and replied, "Ikaw din maganda."

"Alam ko. Joke lang haha! Thank you! I'll message you later na again, may family celebration kami. Ingat, Leni."

"Okay, ingat ka rin!"

That afternoon, as Leni looked at the time while they were in the restaurant for lunch, she remembered that she forgot to tell Risa one simple thing. The 12-hour difference meant that it was almost midnight in the Philippines and Risa might be asleep.

"Hi, Leni. Sorry ngayon na lang ulit nakapag-message. How's your day so far?" came the notification from Risa. Leni smiled. Gising ka pa pala.

"Okay naman, about to get lunch with the girls. Pwede ba kitang tawagan?"

Risa's reply came in a minute later. "Sure!"

A smile appeared on Leni's face and she excused herself from their table, saying she had to make an important call.

"Hi, Risa," she greeted cheerfully.

"Hi, Leni. Akala ko you're about to get lunch? Napatawag ka?"

"Oo, actually we're already here sa isang restaurant. Pero may nakalimutan kasi akong sabihin sa'yo kanina."

"Hmm? Ano naman 'yun?"

"I'm proud of you."

"H-ha? Ayan 'yung nakalimutan mong sabihin?"

"Oo. Proud ako sa'yo. Sobra."

Silence met her and she shifted on her foot. Should she not have said that? Maybe she shouldn't have. She and Risa still had not talked about their issues with each other yet, and surely, Risa still wasn't feeling the best because of the election results.

"Leni...thank you."

Risa's voice was filled with affection and she thought maybe Risa was teary eyed now. She had always been a cry baby compared to her.

"Bakit naman parang ang lungkot mo?"

"Alam mo naman kung bakit. Pero still, thank you."

"You're welcome, superstar."

"Superstar?" Risa laughed heartily.

"Naalala ko lang 'yung text mo sa'kin no'ng kickoff rally sa Naga. Sabi mo para akong superstar."

"Ah, yes I remember din. Ikaw talaga. Mag-enjoy ka dyan! It's a good break from all that's happening dito."

"Yes, I will. If may need kayo ng staff mo from my office, mag-message ka lang sa kanila ha."

"Noted, thanks. Tell Jill I said congrats! Grabe talaga ang tatak Robredo."

"Okay, sasabihin ko 'yan sa kanya. Thank you."

"You're welcome. Sige na, I'm going to sleep na rin at maaga pa ang work bukas."

"Okay. Good night."

"Good night...ay, afternoon dyan diba? Good afternoon, Leni."

"Oo, afternoon dito," Leni laughed, still not wanting to drop the call but she could hear Risa yawn on the other end of the line. "Wait, Risa..."

"Hmm?"

"Miss na kita."

Their hearts beat loudly in their chest. Leni had this peaceful smile on her face as she stood outside the restaurant, while Risa's eyes went from being shut to being wide opened. She bit her lip, unable to stop the smile forming on her face.

"Miss na rin kita."