8: The Grave Danger of The Skeleton Key

I was standing in front of Macaque. He was dressed in more comfortable clothing, his scarf that he never took down around tied around his waist. 
  "Okay, so the first step to study these is to master the Way of Shadows. That requires an extreme amout of focus, calm and most importantly," He placed his hands in front of him, one hand's fingers perfectly lining up with the other hand's. "Balance."
  "That's easy! I already have these." I said, crossing my arms. "Why can't I do the shadowy things already?"
  "Because, green bean," He smiled. "It's not that easy. You know just as much as any other human. While my companion was taught the Way of Immortality, I was learning the Way of Shadows. It took me days to make sure I'm focusing enough. It all takes time."
  "Okay. How will we start?" I asked him. 
  "You need to-" He stopped talking, ears down, eyes widened. 
  "Uh, monkey? Macaque? You okay?" He closed his eyes and shook his head before looking back at me.

  "Of course. I'm great." He took a deep breath. "You need to find your biggest fear. Whatever you fear the most is holding you back from achieving the main goal. It can be anything basically. From spiders to getting betrayed. It doesn't really matter. You need to find the fear and then strike it down. It can't control you, you must control it."
  "Veeery motivational. How many times did you repeat that in front of the mirror?" I asked, making him laugh. 
  "It's true though! When you realize your biggest fear, you should be able to control it. You just need to focus." 
  "So it's like sewing?" I questioned. "Y'know, you need to focus when sewing to make something you want to. When you don't focus, it's hazy and will eventually fall apart."
  "You can say it like that for sure. When you're done with this, you can really easily achieve calm and with those two, balance." Macaque said and then smiled. "You have time to find out though. Don't pressure yourself, just think about what your worst fear might be."
  I nodded and sat down, criss cross (applesauce). "How long did it take you to figure out your worst fear?" 
  "My whole life I guess." He snorted. I was not amused. 
  "That wasn't funny." I mumbled. "So you still didn't figure it out?" 
  "I did."

  I was looking at him, puzzled. "Are you willing to explain this?"
  "Hmm," He then patted my head. "No. You can figure it out." I groaned. 
  "Can I still see others while thinking?" I asked. "Maybe people like MK or Mei will help more than you."
  He laughed. "If you think that, sure! You can see your friends and leave your poor dad all alone."
  "Stop, we already talked about this!" I groaned, making him snort. 
  "Oh, but it still very much hurts!" Macaque smiled. "Just go. You're an adult, capable of making your own decisions. If you think friends will help you with focus, you can go to them. But I'm always here if you need any help with it."
  I smiled back. "Thanks, monkey man."

  We all know how it went down. I changed into something better and got on my way to Pigsy's Noodles. I mean, MK's usually there. And if he isn't there, he's delivering some noodles. And when he's delivering noodles, Mei usually comes around to ask where's MK.
  I got there just to see some guy giving MK some key. So many random things happening today. Mei was going crazy over it and I chuckled at it, slowly and quietly sitting on a free hair. I didn't want to interrupt whatever the hell was happening. Long story short, the random guy, who said is the mayor (?) gave MK a key that's able to open anything, Mei was being a puppy person, and the 'mayor' was being a weirdo. Yeah, Mei's the most relatable one. 
  "Hm. I'm starting to think.. that's maybe not the mayor." Mei said when the 'mayor' has disappeared in a bluish cloud. "Oh, hey Morro!" 
  "Hi." I waved. MK gave me a quick glance before looking back at the key. 
  "Wow. A key that can open anything.." He mumbled and then looked at Mei, both of them smiling. "You know what that means?"
  "Let's not." I nervously said, looking at the weird thing in his hands. "It can be... dangerous. That guy was weird."
  "Dangerous? Please, Morro! It'll only be one day. What can possibly go wrong in one day?" Mei grinned at me.
  "A lot of things. For example, MK got his staff and saved the whole city in one day." I raised my eyebrow at her. 
  "We're responsible enough. We'll make sure nothing goes wrong."