oo. prologue

━━━ VVV ━━━

SERMO MADEIS DIDN'T know what to do the moment her niece had strictly declined her offer of coming with her

SERMO MADEIS DIDN'T know what to do the moment her niece had strictly declined her offer of coming with her. She could try persuading the girl just like how she always did before. But then she also realized that perhaps after the many times, which they could no longer count, that they had to travel the world for her work, Sermo just might know how it was finally the dead end for her. It was only strengthened as she gazed upon the serious look on the girl's face.

“Oh, come on. It shouldn't be that bad.” Sermo tried to persist, only earning her a mighty scoff.

Please, I insist. If we're just going to visit another one of those sanctuaries and actually have to stay there for days onward, I'm going to be sick. Like seriously, couldn't your boss be kinder and let us go to those ancient temples where it would actually be fun?”

Sermo sighed. “It's High Priestess, not boss. And no we cannot go to the temples yet, they're still facing a problem with the sorcerers.” she schooled.

Their own magic was to compare from those who used Mystic Arts. Despite the similarity with both having gold appearances when casted by the user, somehow, in a way Veni couldn't entirely understand, they were not the same. Instead, they had directly forced to call theirs as Divine Arts. Well, there was an obvious way to tell how they had differed. And it would be how they used spells, incantations and all that stuff to initially channel their magic while the sorcerers had to perform hand gestures and whatnot.

“Whatever.” she rolled her eyes. “Can't we just stay home for at least a whole week with no more boring ward renewing?”

Veni was well aware that her aunt didn't mind her job at all. She was an energetic adventurer after all, and heaven knows anyone could stop her from flying over the world and travel to the highest of mountains just to preserve the beauty of a place. Don't get the girl wrong, it was somewhat enjoyable when you think about the thrill of discovering them. But the one thing she disliked was the coworkers known as the other witches who had to go with them. And believe her when she says their coven wasn't as pleasurable as others due to how they took it amongst themselves to personally criticize the work of anyone they could find. As if they were the High Priestess themselves and judged the progress of the girl regarding her studies. And the worst part? They had the absolute audacity to even compare you to whoever shithead that was 'better' than her and not let you hear the end of it.

The only thing stopping her from actually committing murder was Sermo. And the lady herself had to use absolute effort to even do so because even she couldn't escape the mouths of her colleagues.

“You know it's by choice, Ven. And besides, I have to do this so that our family would have a volunteer for the council. Soon you might do it too.” Sermo cringed the moment that last statement was said, pivoting her sight from the girl's very offended scowl.

“The only volunteering I'll ever partake in would be to curse the family line of your so-called friends.” she groaned.

Veni slumped on her seat then crossed her arms on her chest. If she had to give attitude for her aunt to finally give up then so be it. At least she could say she put up a fight.

The wooden table in front of her shook slightly as a creature jumped above it. A frown settled itself on her features as the black furred animal passed by her, intentionally slapping its tail on her face. She was about to ignore it, only if it didn't have to do it again six more freaking times. So in annoyance, she swatted the fat cat away. Who, in retaliation, also slapped her in the head.

“You little shi—”

“If faced with danger, what do we say?” Sermo interrupted.

Umbra seemingly threw her a smug look before jumping off of the table. But not before smacking her with his tail and scrambling away.

“Really?” Veni exasperatedly asked her aunt.

“Yes, really. If you're going to stay here by yourself, I have to make sure that you remember what to do.” Seeing her niece opening her mouth to argue, she shushed her with a finger. “Don't even start.”

So with a sigh, she complied. “Inpello.”

“Care for wounds?”

“Vulnus Sarcio.”

“To protect?”

“Contego.”

Sermo stopped in front of her and nodded contentedly. “Good. That's good.”

Dragging the last of her luggage, the ginger adult was then escorted by her niece towards the door. If anyone was to look at the two, it was easy to say that they were a mother and daughter duo, especially with the same hair color going on. And both knew that they didn't even care about correcting those claims, even going along with a nod.

Leaving the girl on her own didn't concern Sermo that much seeing as she trusted her enough to take care of herself. Veni was a special girl. One with a natural-born gift of having her mind closed from prying witches so she was secured with having their privacy hidden. The only thing she was worried about was how the girl kept to herself, resulting in her to have no one to call as a friend. Because to quote her; not a single dull human out there, or even mutant, was well worth her damn precious time. And so she was concerned with having to let Veni ever think that she was alone in this world.

“Are you sure you don't wanna come?” Sermo questioned for the last time.

“Yes, I am a hundred percent sure. You don't need to worry about a single thing.” she rolled her eyes.

Which was true. She was far too deprived of having to use her magic that if anyone were to step foot in their house, they wouldn't even get to step out.

“Have as much fun as you want, just be sure to be careful.” The older witch smiled at her.

“Oh sure! Because watching the television or reading books in this house can be so dangerous.” Veni grinned sarcastically.

Her aunt ignored her, crouching down to the ground where a cat sat politely. “You take care of yourself too, Umbra.” She was about to stand but then stopped, placing a pat on his head while whispering. “And good luck with her. I'm leaving you to keep her right on track.”

Umbra meowed in response.

Yet Veni scoffed at the comment she just heard. “Well that's not at all reassuring, is it? It's supposed to be the other way around!”

It was her aunt's turn to roll her eyes, opening her arms and bringing the girl in. The embrace had to be cut short due to a car honking loudly from outside, serving as the call of the impatient, rude old hags. And as Sermo left the safety of their house, she didn't realize how much she would later regret ever telling the girl to have as much fun as she wanted.