ix. understanding science bullshit

━━━ VVV ━━━

PERHAPS CHARLES HASN'T been too clear with his instructions about simply helping the blonde boy with his aim directory

PERHAPS CHARLES HASN'T been too clear with his instructions about simply helping the blonde boy with his aim directory. The moment the two met right at the dining room, he was sure he was specific with telling her that bit. Or maybe he really was clear and that the only one who didn't hear him well was the witch as she took on the task like a challenge that she needed to win and achieve with extra credit.

The telepath didn't know if it was out of spite when Veni took the mutant's training outside the safety of the bunker or if she just preferred being out in the open. He just knew that he was both afraid and secured about how she was the one handling this situation because she was more than likely to protect herself if ever things might happen.

“I can't do it.” Alex sighed in defeat.

He was told by the girl to try and focus his powers to his hands and not just release it out of nowhere. It was almost half an hour in their training that he fell silent and attempted to do it. She just had that trusting look on her face as well as a confident reassurance that made him want to perform this correctly. But even with all her persistence and determination, nothing was going their way.

“Okay, how about we just try with the rings first? I wanna see how you do it. Do you think you can do that?” she asked softly, feeling the stressed vibe he was unconsciously giving.

Alex hesitated, biting him bottom lip and closing his eyes before mentally saying screw it. “Yeah. Yeah, let's try that.”

“Good. That's good.” Veni smiled before patting his shoulder. “You can do it.”

He returned the gesture albeit a bit unsure, gently shaking his hands to try and ease the tension. An almost unnoticeable barrier shimmered through the glares of the morning ember, making him relieved that he shouldn't be afraid of losing control. Mildly concentrating, he called for his mutation which he kept caged in, slowly tingling at the surfacing warmth and gritting his teeth as he released the red rings to the protected air.

The mutant perked as a cool wind passed through him, barely seeing how the casted shield moved and carried the power he exploded. It shrunk down, little by little until the fiery rings met at the middle where they combined into an ignited sphere. Alex watched as the energy, now the size of a baseball, flew towards the awaiting hands of the witch.

“Careful, that's hot.” he jokingly warned.

Veni narrowed her eyes the more she studied the element. She laced a lingering spell on the shield that she kept around it, making it look like she was the one who could manipulate energy as it floated above her palm.

“You think I might be able to do that?” the boy asked.

“Not entirely.” Veni chuckled. “I mean maybe one day you could after you've truly mastered it. But I was leaning more on the blasting side of your powers.”