1. Calla Rivera

"Oh my God"
"Oh my God"
A big green ugly looking lizard is slowly crawling right above me on the ceiling, slowly I pull my blanket higher and without breaking eye contact with this creepy reptile, I scream "Dad!!!!!!!"....

The door to my bedroom instantly flies open and my dad who is wearing apron, holding spatula in his right hand, breathing heavily by climbing stairs looks for any threat in my room. I gesture him towards the ceiling and like a superman dad, he grabs my study chair, climbs on it and swats the creepy lizard with spatula, lizard looses it's grip and makes a smooth landing right on my forehead. Thap
"Dad!! Dad!!Dad!!"

This time when I open my eyes there is no lizard on the ceiling fortunately, but my dad is standing over me, he is wearing the same apron and still holding on that spatula in his hand while shaking my shoulders, anxiously he says "calla, I'm right here honey. Look at me .....hey honey you were dreaming".
I look around and realise I really was dreaming. Thankgod.
Sitting down next to me Dad starts rubbing circles on my back, his greying hairs, dark circles under eyes, tanned skin with sweat around temples and smelling like coffee and home makes me realise that he got back from work late at night now preparing breakfast for me. "Calla are you okay?"
Giving a big smile I hug him,
"Yess dad, just a bad dream."
He smiles hugging me back "what was that creepy lizard doing this time?" I pulled back a little and narrate him the whole terrifying dream. He breaks into laugh and pull me into hug once more..
"Hurry up sleepyhead otherwise you gonna be late."
Glancing at bedstand clock I quickly make my way to bathroom.
"For god's sake dad do not flip any pancakes using that spatula!"
He breaks into a hearty laugh which vibrates through these creamy walls of my room, bringing warmth and happiness.
"Hurry up! Jonah and myself are starving."
"Yupppp"

Quickly I brush my teeth, shower, untangle knots and pull my thick dark brown hair into a pony tail, dressing in grey pencil skirt and white shirt, applying coral lipstick I do a once over in large mirror and sigh. Simple, sophisticated and neat. Grabbing shoes and purse I make my way downstairs deeply inhaling the sweet caramel coffee aroma, entering the kitchen where dad and Jonah are probably discussing some criminal case over blueberry pancakes. Both Dad and Jonah being Sherif in San Francisco this what normal morning looks like in Rivera house.

Jonah is the next door neighbour and close family friend, I have known him since we stopped  wearing diapers and mind you, that cute little Jonah has now grown up into smartass handsome man. Policeman. With jet black hair, light grey eyes, those toned muscles and  by flashing his signature dimpled smile he is one of the eligible bachelor in Sunset district. But to me there's more to him like his politeness, loving nature, smart & intellectual, reliable and he does have heart of gold. I do remember once our group of friends went to this town fair in highschool, everything was perfect until everyone except me wanted to ride on this huge ferris wheel. I was shitless scared that's when Jonah stepped up and dragged me over that ride, the whole while assuring me that I am not going to die and even if I do, the view from top is worth. And yes! It was an absolutely mesmerizing view of city lights  and sky full of stars above us, that had me sitting on that same ferris wheel again and again, enjoying the view with Jonah sitting right across me, with his signature smile for rest of the night.

"Are you just going to stand there and daydream?"
"Good morning to you too jonah." I swear he has made himself so comfortable here in Rivera house, that any lost item gets found by him but I have no complaints because Jonah's dad, uncle David  and uncle mathew who is my dad's big brother are always there for my dad after my mom passed away. Death of my mom was not easy for us, especially dad who was still grieving but never neglected his fatherly duties ,also took on the role of mom. When I was in school he used to brush and braid my hair, cook  and if that isn't enough he also had 'The Talk' with me when my puberty hit, although it was embarrassing I'm grateful for him being there. Always being there for me. Loving me.