10. Calla

Ughhhh!!!

Throwing the book against the wall, I fall back into bed. Nothing seems to be helping, nothing. Nada. I tried reading book, listening to songs, talking to Rosie and Lydia, walk, meditation, crushing on hot celebrities , sleeping but for the life of me cannot  concentrate on anything. 

All of my thoughts are consumed by KOSTYA. I swear I avoided everything to not run into him or  run to him. Now this is dangerous, I keep telling myself few more weeks then I will be back home, back to my boring livelihood.

Today is sunday and Ben has planned something fun so I get my ass from bed to get ready. It's nearly 7 pm, I asked him what's the plan but he claims it to be a surprise. I wear my green satin pleated skirt with lace white cropped top, boots and jacket.

"Okay enough of the suspense just tell me where we are going?"

"Gosh Calla, we are going to underground fighting."

"What?"

"Underground fighting it's known as Gulag here in Russia"

"Like a wwe? why would you take me to that I hate violence and just can't see two people beating each other"

"chill you're gonna enjoy this"

I didn't correct him, as we reached our destination,  right in the middle of the city, we entered this shady hotel wherein the bouncer checked us, Ben got tickets from his friend who also joins us at the entrance. 

"Calla this is my friend Alexander and Alex this is Calla my boss."

Alexander shakes my hand and walks us down the narrow hallway, then down the steps, then some more narrow hallway, some more steps, then more bouncers checking and finally we enter  a big hall area where in there is a big circle stage in the middle and people seated all around this stage arena. 

The crowd sitting in the VIP area are dressed in suits and dresses, most of the crowd seems to be drinking, smoking and doing drugs, everyone seems to be cheering when players start to enter the arena.

" Why the hell is that man carrying knife, like isn't this supposed to be wrestling?"

Ben and Alex stare at me as if I said something funny.

"No Calla, this is underground fighting but to be the winner you need to kill the other person.  whoever gets out alive gets shit ton of money and positioned in mafia."

"kill? oh my god!"

"And to answer your question the players can bring any weapon to this arena but any one."

"Why would you bring me to such place Ben?"

" Relax Calla, this is part of Russia"

I look back at the arena wherein the players have started fighting or should I say beating each other .........to death. 

"There are 12 fights scheduled today and as we are late due to Ben we missed 9 fights"

"what? so nine people died just now?"

"There are more to go"

The hall is filled by crowd that no place seems to be vacant, cheers erupt as the winner kills the other person. I just could stomach these violent visuals so I divert my attention to the VIP area,  but it seems to be my bad day cause Kostya's gang are standing just beside the arena. 

Shit. shit. shit.

I duck my head and make myself as invisible as possible, I don't even have my phone on me as the bouncers have collected it beforehand to avoid any pictures or videos taken.  

Next few minutes pass by quickly with Alexander explaining things around here and there. I zone in my attention again on the VIP area trying to find certain someone with blue eyes, maybe he didn't come. Maybe he got a date. maybe he is busy screwing other women.

And I don't like that thought at all.

Suddenly the crowd gets wild and cheers on loud enough to make me deaf, I glance back at stage arena ...no way!!!!!

This can't be happening.

My heart starts thumping against my chest, my hand gets clammy and shaky, I can't breathe!

"That is Kostya Petrov, he is the right hand of Alexei who is the leader of mafia gang, they own Moscow and everything in it. Drugs, arms and ammunitions, murder, kidnapping,  underground fighting clubs,  strip clubs and restaurants, prostitution they run these business all over Russia.  You bet today it's a full house cause he is in the arena, everyone will be betting on him. He is the only player who plays without any equipment,  but don't let that fool you cause he never lost. ever. He fucking annihilates his opponent and gives them cruelest death..... "   while Alexander further talks about the most feared man in Russia, I'm unable to move my eyes from satan himself.

The opponent steps into arena, the is the biggest man I have ever seen, bald, piercing all over his face, big muscled and.......... and with long iron chain which has metal ball at it's end with pointed spikes all over it. Goosebumps rise all over my body, fear so much fear, there is no way that man is going down.

The opponent says something in russian, something provoking for sure, smiling so big that it creeps me up. He is already acting as if he's the winner

.
Kostya is calm, his poker face reveals nothing gone on that of his. Referee explains rules to both the players.

Kostya scans the seating area as the crowd cheers for him, my heart thumps so loudly against my chest when his eyes clashes with mine. For the first time since he entered the arena he has shown some sort of emotion, he is shocked to see me here, but that gets quickly changed with anger. We both shamelessly stare at each other, everything in the background disappears, time slows down but then that spiked metal ball is thrown at Kostya's face. Unaware of such a hit,  made Kostya fall down, blood dripping down his face. Too much blood. Tears stream down my eyes as I rise from my seat as panic settles in my stomach.

Kostya rises up again and stares at me, he notices tears running down my face and he smirks. The crowd goes silent, awaiting his next move or maybe questioning why the hell is the smiling like an unhinged man.

That ugly deadly big head opponent strikes again with his weapon but this time, Kostya easily dodges it and throws punches back at ugly man.
Kostya has quick reflexes and strikes his opponent to no end.

And I see a completely different side of Kostya, his dark unhinged side, the one wherein he growls like a wild animal, the one where he throws punch after punch, he is no more calm and calculated. The opponent is barely breathing as Kostya ties that iron chain around his neck restricting air flow and now I'm genuinely scared.

Before I have panic attacks or puking all over myself I rush outside the underground club, pushing door of the shady hotel with all my strenght, I take in quick deep breaths, calming myself.

I don't know what triggered me, the horror of ruthlessly killing people or seeing someone I deeply care off, someone who is all I can think about these days beat someone to death.

It has started snowing, I grasp deep breaths, closing my eyes, doing everything in my power to not faint here or have panic attack, but I'm failing miserably.