𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐉𝐨𝐲𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐜 𝐁𝐚𝐜𝐤𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲

Awareness returned slow to Atsushi as he stirred awake, eyes fluttering open to gaze blankly at the pale ceiling above.

Where... where am I? he wondered, attempting to place why the ceiling seemed both foreign and vaguely familiar. It was a pretty basic colour though so maybe he'd just seen it before? Yet, while that explained the ceiling it did not explain the fact that he was laying on something incredibly comfortable with a... blanket of some kind?

Closing his eyes he tried to tug forward the memories of whatever had happened before that led to his current predicament and – ah. Oh. Wow. Nope. That was embarrassing. And wait – a bomb?!

What was his life? Seriously. This was just ridiculous. How did he go from dying on the bank of a river to trying to talk down a terrorist with a bomb the size of Atsushi's torso?

And then he'd freaked out like an idiot in front of a load of people. Welp, he'd have to find a window to toss himself out of now because no way could he face them again knowing he'd failed their exam-thing so spectacularly.

With a groan Atsushi twisted so he was laying on his back only to let out a choked scream when he realised there was no more cushiony surface left for him to lay on and he was instead plummeting towards the floor. Which, honestly, was par for course when it came to his life.

That kinda sucked.

Atsushi yelped when his side made contact with the hard wooden flooring, a stinging pain racing across his shoulder, arm and hip which had taken the brunt of the fall. It was hardly the worst pain he'd ever experienced – if only, he mused – but that didn't mean it didn't leave his already exhausted body aching.

Gritting his teeth Atsushi did what he'd intended to do from the start and rolled onto his back... only to find himself staring into the bright eyes of the apparently not-terrorist. And yet, despite knowing that, Atsushi's immediate reaction was to scramble to his feet and put as much distance between him and the other boy as possible.

"Ah, sorry!" the redhead cried, holding his hands up placatingly – or as much as he could with a girl clinging to his side like a particularly determined koala. "I didn't mean to startle you," he added with an awkward but genuine smile.

Something in Atsushi calmed at the sight of the genuine warmth behind the teen's smile. It was as if that single show of authenticity was enough to cement in Atsushi's mind that no, this guy was not going to hurt him. It was nice and weird and Atsushi wasn't all that sure how to deal with it.