Sanemi's House

Aika woke to the smell of Japanese red bean pancakes. Turning her head, Aika saw a tray with water, five pancakes, and a note.

Eat and then come outside to train.

-Sanemi Shinazugawa

Aika read it over. Training already, huh. What else should she expect, Aika thought. This was a hashira, and she was becoming a Demon Slayer. If she had what it takes. Eating slowly and getting ready for training fast, Aika ran out in her kendo-uniform style hakama pants with a white shirt and her haori over. Her bird earrings lifted in the wind as she stepped outside.

Sanemi was waiting for her with a wooden sword. In his other hand was a real sword. He handed Aika the wooden sword.

"First, tell me your name. Then we can get started on how to use a sword." Sanemi looked at Aika.

"Aika. Aika Akizora. Can we start?" Aika looked around impatiently. Sanemi glared angrily at her.

"Yes. We can start. Stand like this." Sanemi showed Aika how to hold the sword and position her feet.

October 16

Today Sanemi showed me how to breathe properly for wind breathing. I should be excited, but I'm not. I get the feeling that I cannot do this. Breathing seems impossible. I don't think I have the skill or strength for this. I have a scar on my cheek, from the demon attack. It shows that I was not skillful then, so why now?

December 5

It's been six months since Sanemi saved me from the demon. I was right. While I do understand the basics of wind breathing and can perform the move, it is never correct. I know that Sanemi wanted a strong, capable Tsuguko to replace him as wind hashira one day, but I can't master wind breathing. Just can't. I know he is disappointed and angry. The way he looks at me, glaring and harrumphing. I let him down, and he probably wants to stop training me. I will practice every night. Until I master wind breathing, I will practice all day.

December 20

I did something... it's really cool! While I was practicing, I was staring at the sky. I marveled at its beauty. It's freedom, openness, and I couldn't help but think about how much I would give to be up there like birds, soaring through the sky and feeling the wind in my feathers. I tried to do Gale, Sudden Gusts. It felt wrong, so I decided to do it the way I felt was right. Jabbing my sword forward, I launched into the air, a gust of wind blowing the dummy back. I decided to do more. I have created forms...my own breathing. I call it Sky breathing, and I will show it to Sanemi tomorrow.

"What is it, kid? I don't have all day. I'm a hashira, remember?" Sanemi growled, waiting for Aika to continue.

Aika breathed deeply, stepping back and sheathing her sword. "Sky breathing, Second Form: Overcast." Aika murmured. Darkness clouded everything, and Aika disappeared into the cloudiness. Sanemi stood there silently as Aika returned.

"What did you call that? What is that? You are supposed to be learning wind breathing." Sanemi hissed, glaring at Aika.

"It's Sky breathing, and I made it myself. I can't master wind breathing, and you know that. So I made a breathing based off of wind breathing." Aika glared right back at Sanemi.

Sanemi lunged- his fist curled and tensed- at Aika. She ducked and tried to punch Sanemi, but wasn't fast enough to match the wind hashira's speed. He ended up hitting her forehead, and before Aika knew what happened she was on her stomach, arms pinned behind her back.

"Like hell you could hit me." Sanemi stood up, kicking her before stalking off.

"Yeah. But one day, I will. One day, Sanemi." Aika whispered to herself, angry at her teacher. Sanemi had seemed to be proud when she learned everything else with ease, but the second she struggled with wind breathing he was even more angry than usual.