Final Selection

Note: This chapter switches between perspectives. Sorry!

Two small girls walked up onto the platform at the head of the clearing. They seemed to be twins, identical all but for their hair. One had black, one had white. They had small high pitched voices.

"Quick question...how old are you guys? I'm 16." Aika asked them all.

"I'm 17." Chisana cocked his head. "Why?"

"No reason...what about you Amai?" Aika dished her question out again.

"I'm 16, turning 17 in a few months." Amai sighed, not excited for Final Selection.

"Great. I'm the youngest then." Aika sighed as well.

"Everyone." The girls began, completely in sync. Their voices were creepy. "Thank you for coming here tonight, to the Demon Slayer Corps Final Selection."

The white one continued. "There are demons here imprisoned on Mt. Fujikasane, captured alive by Demon Slayer swordsmen, and unable to leave."

The black haired one picked up. "That is because wisteria, which demons hate so much, blooms year round from the bottom to the halfway point of the mountain."

They took turns. "However, there is no wisteria from this point on, and so demons abound."

"You'll need to survive here for 7 days to pass."

Both, now. "And now, be on your way." They bowed, holding lanterns to light the path between them. Chisana, Aika, and Amai walked into the forest, followed by others. Drawing their swords, everyone started to breathe deeply.

Aika shivered, sensing demons. "Do you think that demons might be here? At the beginning?" Aika asked.

"No, not at all...The wisteria probably repels them. They'll be deeper in." Amai responded, assuringly.

They devised a plan. Walk to where the sun rises the soonest. Sleep in the day, in the sun, and fight at night. During the day, when they sleep, at least one person will be on guard. Aika felt assured. They could do this. As they walked further and further from the wisteria, everyone grew stiff. People were sniffing, listening, looking, doing whatever they could to sense the demons. One person even plunged his blade into the ground. Aika unsheathed her second blade, leading them all forward. Amai quickly took the lead, though.

"Maybe we should just avoid demons...it's not required to kill any demons here anyway...we should just stay safe.." she said, continuing to walk ahead of everyone, though she was still scared. She continued in the lead for about 8 minutes before they heard something in the bushes on their left. Chisana jumped, Aika and Amai taking stances.

"Who is it?" Amai yelled uncertainty tainting her voice.

A demon leaped out of the bush, tackling Chisana. Aika and Amai struck at once, chopping its head off. Then Amai helped him up.

"Are you okay Chisana?" she asked, worried a little. He had a cut on his elbow.

"Here, let me help." Aika pulled out bandages from the pack she had. She bandaged it. "Anyone need water?" She asked, pulling out a canteen.

"No thanks." Chisana and Amai said at once. Aika put her canteen back in her pack. They continued on.

Chisana jumped at each sound, and even after one day, they saw dead bodies, demons devouring people. They met a boy, it was the same one who called Chisana a wimp... groaning in agony as a demon slowly chewed on him.

"Hey!" Chisana yelled, speeding up, he slashed his blade, flames coming out in a circle. The demon's head fell off. It was weak, hungry, and desperate. They bandaged the boy, giving him water, but he died the next morning. They didn't have time to bury him.