chapter 9

Hi everyone!
Finally I managed to write faster and hopefully, I'll manage to keep writing just as fast. I got really inspired lately, so I might write more chapters than I originaly planned. (I don't know how many, didn't really plan this far)
Anyway I hope you enjoy this, it's pretty short, but important to the story.
I'll be happy for some comments. 😊

WARNING: this is not a happy chapter.

Nova was back in her old home again. She was sitting in the closet, listening to the gunshots. She felt like her current self, not the six-year old child as she always did when having this nightmare. She couldn't move.
BANG. BANG.
She looked through the little space between the door of the closet. Heard Evie cry. Saw the man point his gun..
BANG.
She closed her eyes, wishing for this to be finally over. She felt tears in her eyes. Wanted to press her hands over her ears, but somehow she couldn't move them.
Suddenly the door of the closet flew open, but the scene changed. Nova climbed out and looked around. The man wasn't there anymore.
Instead of the man, there were the Anarchists. Honey, Leroy, Phobia. And Ace.
They were standing in a tight half-circle, their back to Nova, and she couldn't see what were they looking at. She took a shaky step towards them, when they all turned to her, all glaring. That's when she saw him.
Adrian was lying on the floor in a pool of blood.
It was too late.
"No!"
All the anarchists pointed a finger at her as suddenly there were too many people around. She looked around and saw familiar faces. Oscar, Ruby, Danna, the Council, Max, Callum. They were all looking at her with disgust. She wanted to scream, to tell them that she didn't do it. It wasn't her fault. But a quiet voice whispered in the back of her mind "Are you sure? You dragged him into this." Nova felt something heavy in her hand. She looked down to see a gun.
The crowd was getting bigger, people were pointing at her, someone grabbed her from behind. She tried to fight them..

And then Nova woke up.
She was too overwhelmed from the nightmare, that it took her few seconds to realize where she was. To notice two arms wrapped tightly around her body. Adrian still didn't have a shirt on, and his bare chest was pressed against her back. She glanced at his peaceful face, as he slept, focusing on his steady heartbeat. On the warmth that she could feel through the thin fabric of her own shirt. He was alive. He was there. He was safe.
Then her mind went back to the nightmare.
Was he really safe? She was the reason, why the answer was no. The Anarchist won't stop going after them that easily. Not after she betrayed them. At least that part was clear. But perhaps Adrian wouldn't have to be their target. She betrayed them.
It was a silly thought. Of course he was a target. He was the son of their enemies.
That doesn't mean he wouldn't be safer somewhere, anywhere else.
Carefully, she took Adrian's hand in hers and entwined their fingers. There has to be a way.
She stayed like this for a couple minutes, while the thoughts kept spiralling in her mind.
Glancing one more time at their entwined fingers, she squeezed lightly and then she let go of Adrian's hand.
Carefully, trying not to wake him up, Nova slipped from the embrace and walked quietly to the bathroom.
She locked the door before she broke into tears.
There was no way, they could stay together and win. What was she even thinking? That the world would forget about her, and that she and Adrian Everhart could get some happily ever after in a new city? Nova clenched her jaw at the thought as the word impossible kept ringing in her mind.

She was sitting on the floor, for what felt like forever. But she stayed there, until there were no more tears. She waited until all that was left, was an empty feeling of loneliness. She was staring at the floor, no longer focusing on the fuzzy thoughts about the nightmare and the fact, that her own decisions could've been the doom of the only person she actually cared about.
A plan started to form in the back of her mind and she didn't want to think about this situation, until she realized it could save everything. Sure, it was a huge risk. There was a poor chance, this would work. But it was her only option.

When she finally calmed down, she washed her face and went back to the bedroom. There was a small table with two chairs, so she sat there, pulling her knees to her chest, as she curled up on the chair.
Adrian was still asleep, his face so peaceful, both his arms still spreaded, where Nova left them after sneaking out of the bed.
Nova was watching him, while getting more sure of her new plan. She was sure that Adrian wouldn't agree, but if they were supposed to stand any chance to defeat the anarchists and clear her name.. it was their only option.

They would just have to split up.