three | holly, jolly

While he walked down the stairs and was headed towards the kitchen to get himself some breakfast, Matthew could hear the sound of the television repeatedly changing channels

And due to his own assumption that his father or at least Mike was home for whatever reason either of them would have, he didn't think much of it and only continued to walk into the kitchen, which left him unaware of the fact that a young girl with a shaved head was staring at him with her head tilted to the side.

After grabbing some bread and eggs out of the fridge and getting some waffles out of the freezer and making himself some breakfast with what little he'd seen his own mother do for the past fifteen years of his life, Matthew grabbed his plate of scrambled eggs, waffles and his toast and put one of the toasts in his mouth.

As he started to walk out of the kitchen with the plate in his hand and went to take a bite out of his toast, he suddenly stopped when he found himself staring at a looking girl that seemed to have a shaved head and was currently staring at him.

For several seconds, everything was silent as the two of them stared at each other.

It wasn't until after he chewed and swallowed the bite of the toast that was in his mouth that he simply blinked before he asked, "Hey, do you want some breakfast since you're here?" When she didn't respond, he asked her, "Are you one of Mike's friends or something?"

It was only when he said Mike's name that she nodded her head and said to him, "Yes. Mike. Friend."

While choosing to ignore the fact that she was speaking rather weirdly for a girl her age, he said with a shrug of his shoulders, "Okay. Well, come on, then. I'll see if there's something in here that I could get for you to eat." When she only stared at him with furrowed eyebrows, he said to her, "Don't get me wrong, girl with shaved head, I would normally be wondering why the hell you're not at school with Mike and how you got into the house without me or anyone noticing really, but I'm bored and still suspended from school. So, what better way to pass the time than to get to know one of Mike's friends that has a shaved head for whatever reason?"

As he nodded his head towards the kitchen, he said, "Now, c'mon. It's time for you to have something to eat in the meantime."

While he walked back into the kitchen with the plate in hand, the girl silently stared after him and was hesitant to walk after him, only to stop when he peeked his head out of the kitchen and asked her, "Are you coming or not?"

With a nod of her head, she said to him, "Yes."

His eyebrows merely furrowed at her response before he shrugged to himself and went back to looking through the fridge for something that she could eat.

* * *

As he went to put a plate full of bacon, eggs, waffles and toast in front of the girl, Matthew said to her, "Hopefully this'll taste okay." While the girl stared up at him, he said, "I don't really know for sure. I only know how to cook stuff from the little bit I've seen my mom do over the years. So would you, uh, do me a favor and tell me if they taste okay?"