eight.

━━THREE PAIRS OF eyes were fixed on the television, each with anticipation as they gnawed at their fingernails to the buds, watching a familiar brown-haired boy as he nervously stood on stage, eyes closed and gripping the hand of one of the other contestants.

"THE FINAL WINNER OF WANNABE IDOL's NEWEST BOY GROUP IS... JEONG SEYEON!"

daiyu, seojun, and suho all shared a look, tackling each other into hugs. each teen was battling back tears, though some unnoticed slipped past their eyes and rolled off their cheeks. even seojun, who was still injured, discarded the pain he felt as joy overcame it.

on-screen, seyeon was sobbing uncontrollably, face lit up in a huge smile as he embraced his newest groupmates.

"he did it!" daiyu yelled hoarsely, watching as her brother waved at the camera.

"he fucking made it!" seojun grinned as he crushed daiyu in an embrace, her hair tickling his eyes and nose and lips.

he really made it.

‎ ‎

━━WAKING UP ALONE sucked. daiyu felt utterly small and helpless when she was alone. seyeon hardly had time to spend with her, what with his preparations for his group's upcoming debut.

time seemed to fly fast, its wings spread far and flapped so every wing beat was like a blink of an eye, an eagle soaring past the hour hand at breakneck speed—leaving daiyu in the dust of her recollection, with only memories to hold on to.

daiyu had grown used to this cozy little life in korea. her fears were at bay and there was nothing for her to worry about—as everyone told her. yet, she knew that the time would come for her to return to where she belonged, and it would be like her time here was but a small fragment of the constant churning sandglass that was her life.

just this once, daiyu wished time would take mercy on her, allow her this moment of stillness where her life was utter bliss. no worries, no problems, no fear.

simply a happy zhao daiyu who could live at her own expense, and not at the expense of others.

with a long, drawn-out yawn, the lanky teen untangled herself from her mess of blankets and flattened her bed head. seyeon's bed was empty—as an idol-to-be, he didn't have to attend school thanks to his company, so he spent the day training and preparing.

daiyu vaguely remembered the words he'd said to her last night about getting home late, so she made his bed as well as hers. all the while, her phone buzzing underneath a pile of dirty clothes on the floor, making daiyu a bit hesitant to pick it up.

MISSED CALL (4): shitface

INCOMING CALL: shitface

"hello?" she answered the phone, wiping the trail of saliva from her mouth and walking to the bathroom to get ready for school.

"just wanted to check in. we're all walking to school together, right?" seojun's groggy morning voice filled daiyu's ears, making her heart involuntarily skip a beat.

"seyeon already left for the practice room. he's not coming to school today either." daiyu sighed, throwing on a zip-up jacket over her school uniform.