ten.

━━SCHOOL WAS LESS exciting without seyeon to keep the conversation going. while the three certainly tried, it didn't compare to his flowy transitions from topic to topic.

daiyu tried to feel as though he was still with her, but the rising wall of separation between them seemed to tell her otherwise.

all she could do was hope that this place would still be home to her.

that seyeon would still be home to her.

head down, eyes fluttered shut was how daiyu found seojun upon entering their science classroom a few weeks later. it was early—the majority of people were enjoying their short break before having to enter the class once more.

daiyu gently patted his head as she walked past him to get to her desk, eyes brimming with such gentleness her friends back home would've teased her relentlessly for it.

the light hit seojun so perfectly that his features glowed softly.

"i know i'm good-looking, but at least sit down before you decide to watch me sleep, weirdo."

daiyu rolled her eyes at him, ignoring the hotness of her ears.

"you're so full of yourself." she replied, sitting down beside him and laying her head to face his.

"you would be too, if you looked as good as me." he laughed, his face slowly inching closer.

"what an idiot." daiyu muttered under her breath, everting her gaze away from getting lost in seojun's eyes.

"what? did i lie?" she could hear the smirk in his voice, and while she would love to deflate his little ego, it was a fact not even she could deny.

with a bemused expression, daiyu rolled her eyes and gently brushed a strand of his hair out of his eyes.

"whatever helps you sleep at night," was her cheeky response.

"yah." seojun playfully flicked her forehead, making daiyu wince.

"asshole." she scowled, rubbing her forehead and sending a half-hearted kick to his leg.

playful banter had become something daiyu grew fond of from the tousled-haired boy, and something the girl could be most comfortable doing with seojun. in seyeon's distance, daiyu had found comfort in seojun neither could deny they enjoyed.

the prospect of waiting for her calls to her half-brother to go through became a daily occurrence. he hardly went to school due to the billboards around the city plastered with his face and the millions of mouths saying his name as if it were made of gold.

and daiyu... well, she just blended into the background of his life, another preoccupation seyeon had to deal with later. the boy did his best to be there for his family, but his absences left a growing abyss in daiyu that she couldn't explain.

the distance that was being driven between them seemed to grow with every passing moment. the words suho spoke on the day of seyeon's debut ran clear in daiyu's head, but no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't find it in herself to 'get used to it'.

that was where seojun came in. he understood daiyu's feelings as if they were his own, and he always found a way to keep them at the same level. he was never too ahead of daiyu's grasp, always at arm's reach for her convenience.

his name flowed naturally from her lips, like it was always engraved into her head since the moment her eyes first opened. daiyu called his name in many tones—mostly in a snarky, annoyed tone—but nonetheless, it was one of her most used words as of late.