13th Note: Blood Money

We're slow dancing in a burning room ~ John Mayer

Caralei's POV

I stared at the documents completely dumbfounded and shocked. The black ink that decorated the paper almost felt like it was going to slowly melt and turn to a monstrous being. I never thought that dad would hide things from me. I can say the same thing to my mother. I never thought of her as the kind of person to hide things from me let alone give me an inheritance that would one day give me concern.

"How can they do this, Voj?" I threw the papers to my table, terrified about the secret project they never told me about. My heart pounded and my mind screamed with thoughts that corrupted my core. Why would they hide this from me? Does Montessoro know? I immediately pushed my intercom and called for Cheor.

"Yes ma'am?"

"Call Val right now. Tell him to come up here." I requested before I took my phone out and dialed Montessoro's number. It only rang once before he answered.

"Hey baby."

"Montessoro, are you busy?"

"I'm about to attend a meeting. Why? Is something wrong?" I can sense the worry in him and I could hear him telling someone to wait.

"Can you come here after your meeting? I need to talk to you."

"My love, you won't need to wait. I'm coming." He replied.

"But you have a-" He cut me off with a chuckle.

"You should know by now that if you need me, I will be there for you. I'll be there in a few minutes. I'll see you there." He ended the call pretty quickly and I looked at my phone, strangely satisfied and infatuated by what he just did.

"Lover boy is coming?" Voj beamed, organizing the documents strewn out of the table neatly.

"Yes." I cleared my throat. I felt the awkward atmosphere between us. Ever since I rejected him, it felt like there was a barrier between us and I didn't want to do anything that might overstep or give signs that he has a chance with me. It shouldn't be difficult, right? To set boundaries. But it is difficult when I cannot easily express myself like a normal girl should. I knew deep in my heart Voj is still a friend of mine I can cherish and trust. But right now, the previous awkward courtship stage we had brought an invisible barrier that no one seemed to notice.

"Relax, Caralei. I don't like taking anything that's already been claimed by another. That's not my game." He shook his head with a smile and I knew he was trying to lighten up the mood.

"I'm not a property, Voj." I shot him a look and he raised his hands in surrender.

"Oh. No. No. Sorry. I didn't mean it that way. What I meant is, I don't take a woman that's already in a relationship with another." I shook my head.

"You should really learn how to separate work and personal life, Voj. Your words..." I bit my lip, unable to find the right words to say to him.

"I know. I apologize. I'm trying." He sighed heavily. It must have been a burden with him being unable to separate his lifestyles when it's all he's been doing his entire life.

"You'll have your own time and meet her, Voj." I assured him. It's not me and he knows that now but I wish him the best. He's a good friend. It's just that, I am not the girl he thought he could be with. Smiling at him, his eyes went soft and he gave a small smile, clearing his throat.

"Yeah... I guess you're right."

A knock on the door interrupted us from our private conversation followed by Cheor taking a peek at us.