Chapter 35: The Lead at Hogwarts

The weeks passed and Samantha decided it was best to speak to Lee only when she deemed necessary. She hated he'd held back the knowledge that everyone was fully aware her brother was a Death Eater. She was aware he thought he was doing what was right, but she couldn't help but feel betrayed. She kept herself impossibly busy, barely being at the warehouse unless it was to sleep, eat, write reports or run Potterwatch. They'd had three more shows and they really realized people were listening.

They'd had more leads, some trustworthy, other's not so much. It was tough weeding through them. One did pay off, in early September, someone in the order was tipped off that there was going to be some kind of break in at the Ministry. It was true, Harry Potter himself had been sighted, helping muggle-borns escape Umbridge. Samantha had camped out in a little muggle pub across the street when several people who worked in the Ministry had exited. One stopped in at the pub for a drink, and after a few drinks, had told Samantha everything. It was quite the story.

It was now mid October and she was following up on another tip she'd received. It was from someone who she suspected to be Hagrid. It had been a simple message, just that a Hogwarts informant wanted a meeting to give news from inside the castle.

They were to meet at the Hogshead in Hogsmead, a bit after closing. It was certainly risky, but she Apparated into the Hogshead late into the cool autumn night. The windows were all closed and shuttered. The barkeeper was waiting behind the counter. He was a worn old man with a long gray beard.

"Are you Rebel?" He grunted from behind the bar, he was wiping it down.

She nodded.

"He should be here any minute." He grunted again, "Drink?"

He put a dark rust colored drink in front of her, and Samantha sniffed it uncomfortably. It was strong smelling.

"It isn't poison if that's what yer worried about." The man grunted again.

She nodded before putting a few Knuts down. "Unless I owe you more?"

He shook his head but took the money.

She could hear  footsteps coming from the stairs beside the bar. Neville's face came into view and Samantha had never run faster. He wrapped her into a full hug. She hadn't been happier to see anyone in maybe her whole life.

"Hey!" Samantha smiled as he held onto her. He kissed her cheek quickly and she couldn't ever remember him doing that.

"Sam?" He smiled widely letting go. He touched her face softly as if he was checking to see if she was real. "You have no idea how good it is to see you." 

"I didn't know it was that kind of meeting kid." The barkeep barked looking between their closeness. Samantha had to admit it wasn't her normal greeting for informants.

"Sorry Aberforth." Neville chuckled and Samantha noticed he had a cut along his temple.

"Your face." Samantha commented and she could feel her voice crack.

He shrugged and took her hand. "It's nothing."

They sat down in the pub. Aberforth handed Neville one of the off colored drinks. Neville proceeded to tell her about how Hogwarts had changed. Snape was the new headmaster and the new teachers, The Carrow siblings, were worse than Umbridge could have ever been. They were openly torturing students in class. Most of the teachers didn't even give detention because it often meant the student was being sent for full on torture. Many muggle-born students had either been carted off to Askaban when they arrived, or they didn't show at all. Colin and his brother Dennis had thankfully fallen into the latter category.