Chapter 42: Hilda Burke

Samantha stood inside Gryffindor tower in the seventh year girl's dormitory with Angelina Johnson taking one window and Samantha looking over Luna's shoulder through another window. Samantha had a team of fourteen, one for each window in the girl's dormitory.

The last twenty minutes lingered in her mind. Voldemort had boisterously summoned that if Harry Potter wasn't surrendered before midnight, he was going to send everything he had.

Helping McGonagall lead students out had been the hardest part so far. Many underage students had put up a tizzy. Colin especially, had stood fast in his decision.

"I'm not going." Colin had shouted at her as she told him to leave the Great Hall with everyone else. 

Samantha rolled her eyes, "Yes you are."

"I want to fight!" Colin argued back coming closer to her. 

"Go home Colin!" Samantha practically yelled, physically pushing him back this time. "Now."

Colin nodded taking a step back, surprised at her strength.

"Go home!" She repeated. "Please."

This time he nodded, "Be safe Sam."

"You too!" She smiled before he left to get in line with the others.

 She was just grateful at least one of her friends was safe and she wished she could say she knew more of them were as well. She especially hoped this as she was now with the group that had volunteered to go with her and McGonagall and she was determined they should all stay safe as well. 

She watched the lanterns flicker around her and she felt the earth quake as the Death Eaters set off an explosion near the grounds. Trees in the forbidden forest had begun to catch fire. The witches and wizards lined up on the grounds stood fast, but Samantha couldn't help but worry for anyone near the front. 

She looked over at Angelina, who was shaking a little bit.

She called at her while fidgeting with her wand, "You good Johnson?"

"Yeah, just nervous is all." She admitted with a nod. 

Samantha looked out the tower window and took a deep breathe, she could see students and Order Members lining the outside of the grounds, making a barrier.

"It's natural to be nervous I think." Luna observed at Angelina.

Samantha patted Luna on the back, "I'm going to go check everyone."

Luna nodded at her before turning back to the window. 

Samantha walked from the dormitory and checked every floor.

McGonagall had taken the boys side of the tower. She had a decent set of students, Ernie and Justin Finch-Fletchley had chosen to join them instead of Professor Sprout. Terry Skeres, Dean and Seamus all had been more than proud to defend their houses' tower. There were a few others who Samantha didn't know, but they all looked strong and ready to fight. 

Cormac McLaggen had grumbled a bit when McGonagall instructed that if anything had happened to her, they were instead to listen to Samantha's orders.Samantha tried not to shrink under the pressure, she kept wondering if she was really the best person for the job.

Only women could be on the other side of the tower, the stairs were transfigured to not allow boys. She knew several of the young women, some she knew like Eloise Midgen and Katie Belle. Others she had seen, but never spoken to. To her great shock, Marietta Edgecombe and Elsie Overbast had joined her team.

Elsie said nothing to her as Samantha checked on them, but nodded her head before looking out a window on the first floor.

Marietta, who's face had cleared more, tried to say something to her, she spoke quickly and intensely, "Sam, I regret everything I ever did. With the Gazette and the DA, please, I can't express how sorry I am."