Chapter 45: The Future Editor-In-Chief of The Daily Prophet

"Damn birds." Her father wiped off bird dropping from his shoulder as he came inside from checking the muggle mail.

"More of them?" Samantha asked, her eyes wide and her hand started shaking. It had been nearly a week since the battle and the fan letters she had received in response to her story had been coming in droves. It had been front page on every major paper in the world.

She'd read her world famous article only once. Every word she'd written had been published, even the more graphic details. It was very vulnerable and her mother insisted that was why people were so connected to it. It was more than just being the account of their victory. It was written by someone who had been there, who had suffered loss and still fought.

Samantha feared every letter that came in, it hurt to relive the pain over and over.

Physically she was better. Her wound had closed and her black eye was nearly gone. Mentally, she wasn't sure how she was. 

Her father nodded and kissed her forehead, "Don't worry, your mum will look them over for you."

Her mother had been weeding through the letters in case any letters from her friends came in. They were also checking to see if there was any news of Jack at all. Her parents had hoped that the article would also bring awareness to find him as her last encounter with her brother had been written in very graphic detail. By extent the death of his seducer at his sister's hand had been a real dramatic selling point, something Samantha dreaded. 

Whisp flew in the side window and dropped a letter onto Samantha's plate, she'd have recognized the sloppy handwriting anywhere. Her heart skipped a momentary beat. She knew it wasn't fan mail.

"Ah, now that's a pleasant sight." Her dad said sitting across from her, "A genuine smile."

Samantha wrinkled her nose at her father before opening the letter.

"Who's it from?" He asked before drinking his coffee. "Not another boyfriend I hope."

"Of course not." Samantha blushed a little, he wasn't her boyfriend, but it was Neville asking if Thursday was a good time to meet at the Leaky Cauldron.

"Almost finished with breakfast then?" Her mother asked coming into the room fixing her hat. "I'm sure you would like to get today over with."

Samantha nodded but kept her smile, she'd write Neville back later. Today she and her mother were going to get the rest of her things from the warehouse. Lee was planning to sell the warehouse now that the war was over. They hadn't spoken much since the battle, but he had sent her updates.

Her family had recently moved back into their old home and began what was sort of a normal life. Samantha decided that the independence of working for Potterwatch gave her a decent desire to move out on her own. 

She planned to go back to working for her mother, write a book, save up some money and then get a little apartment in Diagon Alley. Maybe she'd get a little job with the recently reinstated Quibbler or write small incidental articles for Witch Weekly. She'd still write, but it would be low pressure, she wanted a few years to relax. Samantha had seen a few job offers in the mail following her article. She hadn't really wanted to consider any, they all seemed pretty intense. 

They arrived at the warehouse but instead of being greeted by Lee, Kingsley sat at the table.

"Miss Fyre." He smiled, "And Mrs. Fyre!"

He stood and greeted them both.

"What do we owe the pleasure minister?" Her mother asked.

"Genevieve and Lee have stepped out for a bit, looking for apartments I believe." He smiled before shaking Samantha's mum's hand. "You have one remarkable daughter."

"So I've been hearing." Samantha's mum laughed, "but no one had to tell me that."

"Would you mind if I spoke with Miss Fyre alone?" Kingsley asked. "I have a bit of business I'd like to confer with her about."

Her mother went to her old room and began packing things.

She sat across from Kingsley and he handed her a folder.

"What's this?" She asked.

"It is an offer," He explained, "from the Daily Prophet."

"Is it for the internship there?" She asked.

The Daily Prophet had been her lifelong goal. She could get that apartment in Diagon Alley, work for her mother's shop and do the internship. She could keep that calm she desired. 

He said, "You could say it's an internship of sorts."

"I don't have the grades for it." She shook her head.

Kingsley shook his head, "You have done the world a service. Grades are not the most important thing. Real life experiences often lend themselves to elevation."

Samantha nodded and smiled, deciding not to argue.

"Barnabus says he was under the Imperious curse when he allowed the Death Eaters to take over. Honestly, I believe he is easily manipulated and for lack of a better word, a coward. We need someone steadfast, someone with a strong mind, someone who would do anything to keep their team together and safe." Kingsley insisted. "I've informed Barnabus he should retire in five years at the most. I have picked his successor and he will begin training her starting next week." He looked at her and her heart dropped. "Pending a formal interview for appearances."

Kingsley meant her. The pressure began to mount in her mind. She couldn't accept that. It wasn't just an internship, it was much bigger than that. It was going to be work and pressure, the exact opposite of what she currently craved. 

Samantha handed him back the folder. "I can't."

Kingsley smirked a little but pushed the folder back.

"No one will take me seriously." Samantha shook her head. "I have no experience at a real paper."

"You have more field experience than half of those journalists. You will gain your other experience and training over the next few years." Kingsley continued with a real urgency in his voice.

"I'm not even eighteen yet."

 Kingsley argued with a smirk, "I believe you were the one who insisted your age didn't define your experience. I don't believe I've seen a better or harder worker than you. The Prophet needs young blood, you would be doing our world another favor."

Samantha nodded and looked at the folder again. One of her less than thought through ideas popped in her head and words quickly formed, "If I do this, can I ask a single stipulation?" 

 Kingsley asked. "You will be exceptionally well compensated if you are worried about that." 

"I'm not worried about that." Samantha admitted, her hand beginning to shake and she put it beneath the table so Kingsley wouldn't see. 

Kingsley tilted his head, "Then what could it be Miss Fyre?" 

"My brother was not found at the battle." Samantha explained, "I would like the opportunity to know he is alive and see him, before the Aurors just cart him off. I want to see if he is really beyond all hope. I want to see if he can find peace and maybe live a normal life again."

Kingsley nodded looking inquisitive, "That is what you truly wish?"

She nodded strongly. 

He said pushing the folder back to her, "You help reform the Prophet as a favor for me. Then if or when your brother is found, I will grant your favor."

Samantha looked at the folder. Her brother remained on her mind. This could be his ticket to freedom. "I'll do it."

"Excellent, your interview is Thursday, Three PM sharp. We shall go together and I will introduce you personally."

Samantha held the folder close to her chest but remembered, she was supposed to have a date Thursday. She supposed Neville wouldn't mind if they went another time. She supposed her slow simple life would have to wait a little while.