Chapter 5

Unedited

He went quiet on the other end. After a little pause, I heard him sigh before he answered, "Okay. If that's what you want."

I frowned. It was not the kind of reaction I was expecting. "Umm, did something happen? Weren't you against this like an hour ago?"

"I was. But my Dad has given me an ultimatum. He says I must marry you if I want to stay in the family business. Plus, I think something is fishy," he replied.

I ran a hand through my hair, "You too? Why do you think that?"

"Well, for one, he was adamant. Secondly, there is a reason behind this merger Ayra. And it involves both our families," he sounded determined now. "Can you uh- meet me tomorrow? Outside again?"

I opened my room door and slid my bag off my shoulder, sitting on my bed, "Okay. I'll meet you at 7. And if it's another rejection, just do it. Don't-don't act like a gentleman and take me to dinner again."

He laughed, embarrassed. "I understand. That was low of me, wasn't it?"

"It's okay. If I hadn't been feeling the same way, I probably would've felt really bad," I offered, lying down on my back.

After I hung up the phone, I stared at the ceiling fan as it spun. What in the world were Dad and Uncle Asim hiding from us?

☆☆☆

Saif sat silently across from me, probably not knowing where to start.

I took a sip of my water and somehow felt nervous as well. Finally, after what seemed ages, he finally started talking.

"Are you sure you want to do this? I mean, I knew I would marry someday, but I always wanted it to be of love. I never imagined it out of convenience. Don't you feel that way?"

I thought for a moment. Then I shook my head. "My views on love and marriage are different. I wanted an arranged marriage from the beginning because I don't think I could court anyone. Do you have anyone you like?"

He shook his head without missing a beat, "No one at all."

But somebody likes you like crazy. Sania. And I cast her aside in order to protect my father and Uncle Asim.

"So, are we both on the same page? I wanted to set some ground rules for this marriage, seemingly as I want to marry the person I love, not someone my family chose for me," Saif spoke, his tone gentle yet his words harsh.

But I nodded nonetheless because it really didn't matter to me. "What do you have in mind?"

"Well, first of all, all physical contact will be limited to how comfortable you and I both feel. I don't want to disrespect your boundaries as a female as well. Secondly, we will join the business after the merger together. In order to investigate, we must work together," he spoke.

His words half surprised me. The way he was attacking me personally at the airport and in Murree, I thought he had become rude on top of being arrogant. Well arrogant he still was, but his rudeness had tipped down a lot. I wondered why he ghosted me back then? Was it because I had done something?

Stop thinking of the past, Ayra. He obviously doesn't care about any of that.

I nodded, "Continue."

"Thirdly, since I already work at the company, I have a considerable amount of money, so I'll buy a house on my own. Finally, our relationship, even though it is just based on paper, has to be convincing for the world. Even to Dad's other friends. So, in public, I may have to touch you and act all lovey-dovey. But I assure you, I am not a man who will disrespect you ever. Even if you feel the slightest, I'll never stop you from walking out of this deal," he finished.