Chapter 14

Dad looked at me, "Is it okay, Ayra? The doctor says the surgery will be quick and painless. Your skin will grow better soon."

Uncle Asim looked hurt. He grabbed his phone and left the room.

Auntie Tara seemed sad.

Saif hadn't taken his eyes off me for even a second.

"You'll get better very soon. The surgery will help your skin heal and reduce the damage," the doctor told me.

I smiled sadly, pushing everything I was feeling aside, "It's alright. I'm ready for the surgery."

"Fantastic. Don't be afraid. It's a quick procedure," the doctor added. "We'll perform it after two hours."

I looked down, trying hard not to cry. My hand would forever have a burned gash on it. My feet would have burn marks on them. Ever since I was little, people used to compliment my hands and feet a lot. They would tell me how pretty my hands were. But now, they wouldn't be the same anymore.

"I'll go back to the house to get your things, Ayra," Dad said, fondly placing his hand on my head. "My brave girl. What do you need?"

I shook my head, "Nothing Dad. Just bring back some clothes."

Auntie Tara walked over to me and kissed my head, "Everything will be alright. My daughter will be running up and about pretty soon."

I wanted to laugh. Tell them I knew I'll be okay.

But I couldn't.

Because my heart was sinking and it was getting harder for me to control my emotions. Saif hadn't said a word. He was quietly observing me from the doorway.

"I'll be back very soon," Dad told me. He kissed my head and walked out, followed by Auntie Tara, who told me she'd bring my favourite food on her way back.

The door shut behind them, and I sat in silence, staring at my bandaged feet. Flashbacks of what happened played through my mind.

I could suddenly feel that sleezy man's touch on my arm and quickly began to rub my elbow violently. My hand ached, but I didn't stop. I wanted the touch, the feeling to somehow magically disappear.

"Ayra! Ayra, what are you doing? Stop!" Saif's soft voice floated into my ears, but I didn't stop as tears blurred my vision.

"I need to get his touch off me!" I cried, still rubbing.

"Stop! Your cuts are going to open up again!" He said, grabbing my hand and gently pushing it away.

I looked at him. His eyes were roaming all over my face. They were sad.

He was sad.

That's when I couldn't hold back any longer.

"Did - did you hear the doctor? I'm going to have marks on my body! I want to forget what happened, but I'll remember -" I couldn't finish the sentence before I broke down crying.

Saif sat down and put his arm around me, guiding my head to his shoulder. "It's okay. It's all going to be alright."

"I was so scared!" I cried, clutching his arm with my good hand. I laid my back and shoulder against his chest while he rested his chin on my head and rubbed my arm.

"I'm here, I'm here. I got to you. I will always come to you," he said, comforting me.

I sobbed a little more before pulling away and wiping my face and tears. Then I turned to him. His actions made me feel like he would always be with me. But what about the woman who still lives in his heart? Is he forcing himself to love me when he loves someone else? And if he does, why doesn't he go to her or she come to him? Why is he here, married to me?