Chapter 15

Unedited

The surgery went well.

They were able to restructure most of my burns but were not able to return my skin back to its original state. I cried a lot.

My in-laws were worried sick. My Dad was beyond furious that I convinced my husband to withdraw his complaint and almost drove to the police station to file one on his own. Uncle Asim and Auntie Tara had to restrain him and take him to another room to calm him down.

It was time to go home. I had been awake the entire day before and after the surgery, and the anaesthesia only let me sleep for a couple of hours before I woke up again.

I was sitting on the bed, staring into space as my husband and mother-in-law packed my bags and gathered their own stuff. Night had fallen outside, and I could help but stare at my hands and feet. Saif left to go put the things in the car. Auntie Tara sat in front of me and lovingly touched my cheek.

"My lovely daughter," she smiled. "You will always be beautiful no matter what. My cute little baby."

I smiled, "Thank you so much, Auntie. You have been so supportive. I don't think I would've been able to pull through if it wasn't for you."

She nodded, but then her smile faded, "Ayra, I need to talk to you about something important."

I nodded.

"Beta, I know my son. He is very loving, kind, and generous. But the thing is, he is a man. And a human before that. Humans make mistakes, and sometimes, it takes them a lifetime to realize they've made one. I want you to hold on to your husband tightly. Don't let Sania or anyone else take the chance before you. I know for a fact that you two live as roommates and not as husband and wife."

I grew red in embarrassment, but more than that, I was shocked.

"Did Saif say something to you?"

She shook her head, "He will never tell me anything. I can just tell by the way you two behave around us that love is on the table but isn't being considered by both of you. I know you two married because we insisted, but I think you should give this marriage a try."

"Auntie, honestly, I really like Saif. I think I'm in love with him. But I need to know how he feels first," I told her.

She smiled and winked, "You're not far from his heart. Believe me."

Before I could comprehend what she was hinting at, Saif walked in.

"All set?" He asked.

Auntie Tara kissed my forehead and stood up, "You two go in your car. I'm travelling with your Dad and Rashid. We have scores to settle with Sania."

I looked at Saif, who clenched his jaw.

"If you could wait for me? I'll drop Ayra and come -"

"Oh, no way!" His mother interrupted him, smirking. "We all know what you're planning to do. She's a woman. You can't beat her up."

I smiled.

Saif sighed, "I wasn't going to beat her up, Mom. I was just going to have a deep, long talk with her."

"Sure, honey. Sure. We believe you," she patted his arm. "Stay with your wife. She needs you more right now. Remember, take off the gloves from her hand and feet after 4 hours and apply the tube the doctor gave her. It's in the brown bag in your suitcase."

He nodded, and she bid us goodbye and left. Silence fell around us.

"Thank you," I told Saif.

He looked at me.