Chapter 12

"What made him even come here?" Saif muttered under his breath as he shut the glass door after Shehri went out.

I shrugged, "I don't know. The door opened, and there he was."

"What did he want?"

"Nothing much. He said Uncle Dev's been having memory issues and misunderstood some conversation he had with Dad as him promising my marriage to Shehri," I told him.

My heart was beating fast, and it was getting hard for me to concentrate with just the two of us in the small office. Saif's perfume filled the entire room, which was again making it hard for me to focus.

"Let's keep our distance from him," he told me.

I tried not to smile. Was Saif being jealous? Oh, how I would love that!
But I wasn't going to let my hopes up right now. What if he was actually not jealous?

"What's wrong with him popping in a few times? I mean, he does think his parents were in the wrong," I shrugged, trying to see if my indifference would really make him jealous.

"What's alright with him 'popping in a few times'," he muttered irritably.

I opened my mouth to reply, but he walked closer to me until we were only a foot apart from each other. I could smell his extremely intoxicating cologne, which was making my brain fuzzy, gaze deeply into his magnetic eyes, which were holding me captive. His lips were mere inches from me, and all I had to do was lean forward a little with my head tipped back, and I could kiss him.

"Things are bad enough. I don't want any extra trouble around you," he said quietly, his eyes searching my face.

My cheeks grew red, and I suddenly began to feel hot. I stumbled back a little, away from him.

"I uh- I agree," I said, turning towards my laptop.

Saif left to go work after that, and I sighed, burying my face in my hands. His mere presence was enough to jumble up my mind and make my heart go crazy. How long am I going to successfully harbour this strong crush without confessing it is beyond me.

It took me quite some time to navigate through all the records. The sun set outside. I looked at the clock as it ticked to 8.30 pm. Sighing, I got up.

Saif was coming back to pick me up in fifteen minutes. He had left to go meet with the head of the security company who was holding Junaid captive and interrogating him. So far, he had not uttered a word.

I wondered if he even knew who had hired him to kill my Dad and why. What would anyone have against my father?

A knock at the door pulled me out of my thoughts.

"Come in!"

The door opened, and Bilal stepped inside.

"Ma'am, there has been some trouble in the sales department," he sounded worried.

I frowned, "What trouble?"

"Their online website is experiencing a very malicious bug."

"But I just ran a maintenance check yesterday. It was all clear then," I replied, confused.

"The head manager is going crazy. You have to see this."

I got up and headed out with him. But something clicked in my head, and I grabbed my office keys, locking it as I stepped outside. Somehow, no matter how much Saif liked Bilal, I was still a little sceptical in trusting him completely.

We went to the ground floor and I met with Mr. Tahir, a middle-aged man with a fairly nice height and dark hair.

"What happened?" I asked, glancing at his computer.