Chapter Six

______________

______________

"So, was pushing me in the lake really necessary?" Monica asked as they continued to walk through the forest. They'd been walking around all night, trying to think of somewhere to hide out. Eddie had stolen a walkie-talkie from a construction site near by and was still trying to reach Dustin and the group.
"Uh yeah!" He nodded. "I couldn't let Jason see you. I hope he didn't see you or else you're screwed too." He continued to mess about trying to tune the walkie-talkie.

They stopped, arriving at their destination. Skull Rock.
"We should be okay here, for now."

"Dustin, can you hear me? Wheeler?" Eddie tried to reach the group once more, hoping someone would answer from the other side.

"Eddie. Holy shit. Are you okay?" Dustin finally replied.
"Nah man," he let out a sigh. "Pretty goddamn far from okay." He shot a small smile to Monica, relieved Dustin had finally answered.

"Where are you?" Dustin asked.
"Skull Rock. Do you know it?"

"I know where that is," Steve was the one to reply. "Is Monica still with you? Is she okay?"
"You better have a good explanation for ditching me Steve Harrington." Monica answered.
"Hold tight. We're coming!" Dustin spoke before it was silent again.

Eddie let out a deep sigh, holding his head in his hands.
"Eddie, you alright?"

"I'm screwed, Mackenzie. So totally screwed." Monica sat besides him, gently resting her head against his shoulder.
"We're going to sort this, okay?"

Eddie nodded in reply. He was so tired of just running. He started to think how he took his normal day-to-day life for granted. What he'd do to be sat back in a classroom right now, he never thought he'd see the day he'd be wishing for that.

They sat together for a while, barely speaking, just passing comments. But it was a comfortable silence. At some point Monica had fallen asleep on Eddies shoulder, not for long before she felt Eddie gently shaking her awake.
"I can hear voices. Let's go." Eddie guided her over to a covered area.
"Could be Dustin." She replied.
"Can never be too sure. This place, popular make-out place, you know?"
Monica shook her head. "No, I didn't know that." She couldn't help but smile to herself. Eddie had brought her to Skull Rock which she now found out was supposedly the popular make-out spot of Hawkins.

"Even with it staring you right in the face you can't admit it." The familiar voice spoke. It was Steve, with Dustin following behind. The two of them let out a sigh of relief, emerging from the bushes.
"Can't admit that you're wrong, you little butthead."

"I concur," Eddie jumped down from the rock. "You, Dustin Henderson, are a total butthead."

"Jesus we thought you were a goner." Dustin sighed, rushing over and embracing Eddie in a hug.
"Yeah me too man," he nodded. "Me too."

"Yeah nice to see you guys too." Monica rolled her eyes as Eddie helped her down from the rock.
"Thank god you're okay Monica. We're so sorry for leaving you, but you're right, we do have a pretty good explanation." Steve said.

The group played catch-up once again. Eddie and Monica told the rest of them what happened at the lake with Patrick and Jason. She let Eddie explain what happened in the water. Partly because she didn't have the best view but she was still struggling with what she saw happen with Patrick. It made her feel sick knowing the same thing happened to Chrissy.

Steve explained to them both they never came back to the boathouse after Max was possessed by Vecna after visiting Billy's grave. She narrowly escaped through a portal after Robin and Nancy learnt at the asylum Victor got out listening to his favourite song.

"Thank god you're okay Max," Monica shook her head. "I don't know how much more of this I can take."

"Hey, uh, Henderson's not, uh, cursed. Is he?" Eddie asked, noticing Dustin had been walking back and forth staring at his compass for a while.

"Cursed? No he's fine. Mental? Absolutely." Steve nodded.
"Boom!" Dustin suddenly yelled, making them all jump.

Him and Lucas started to talk about magnets and electromagnetic fields, all of which made zero sense to Monica.
"Hey, can you dumb it down a bit for us first timers?" She asked.
"In the presence of a stronger magnetic field, the needle will deflect towards that power," He started. "So either there some super big magnet around here or.."
"There's a gate." Lucas spoke.

"But we're nowhere near the lab?" Nancy questioned.
"But what if somehow, there's another gate?"And I hope there is because then we'd have a way to Vecna."

"Where are you going?" Steve asked as Dustin set off walking. "Hey! Eddies still a wanted man. We can't just go for a hike in the woods."

"What say you, Eddie the Banished?" Dustin spoke, and everyone turned to Eddie.
"I say you're asking me to follow you into Mordor, which, if I'm totally straight with you, I think is a really bad idea."

Steve pulled an 'I told you so' face to Dustin. 
"But uh, the Shire is burning," Eddie stood up. "So Mordor it is."

Everyone hastily started to follow Dustin and his compass to wherever it was taking him.
"So, a wanted man. You must feel so special." Monica said sarcastically walking besides Eddie.
"Definitely one for the resumé." He nodded in agreement.

_______________