Chapter Fifteen

_____________

_____________

Panic instantly took over Monica and Dustin as they quickly fumbled around the trailer, looking for a way back into the Upside Down. Dustin seemed to be doing his own thing and threw the mattress out of the way, standing a chair under the gate.
"Dustin, what are you doing?" Monica eyed him. He just ignored her.

"Screw it!" He said and ran towards the chair, Monica shouting after him. He strained himself, almost crawling back in to the Upside Down. He hit the ground with a thud, a painful scream followed.

"Dustin, are you okay?" Monica asked, but there was no reply. She looked up to see Dustin on the floor. She called after him again. He slowly got up, throwing the mattress back down on the floor. Was this kid going to answer her?
"Monica, come on!" Dustin shouted to her. Had he not heard a word she'd just said in the last five minutes.

She let out a sigh, rolling her eyes. "Dustin Henderson, you are mental. You both are!" She psyched herself up for a run and jump to the gate, having a much softer landing than Dustin, but not by far. She's just about touched the mattress when she saw Dustin limping out the trailer with a spear already in hand, shouting after Eddie. "Dustin, wait!" She called, running after him. They both stopped, seeing a huge swarm of bats in front of them. They looked at each other and shares a worried look.

That's when they saw him, in the middle of the swarm, batting them away with his shield. A bat suddenly came up behind him, wrapping its tail around his neck. His knees give way and he fell to the floor, trying to free himself from the bat.

"Eddie!" Monica shouted, panic taking over, they could hear his screams. Something was happening and it wasn't good. She and Dustin ran as fast as they could towards him. She didn't care if she got bit again, all she cared about was getting to Eddie.

Their plan must've been working, within seconds the army of bats flew off back to the direction of the Creels house.
"Eddie? Oh, God Eddie!" Dustin limped over, they'd finally got to him.

Eddie lay lifeless on the floor, covered in his own blood.
"Eddie," Monica breathed out, rushing over to his side next to Dustin. "Oh my God, Eddie!" She spoke, her hands brushing over his wounds gently, she looked down at her blood covered hands.
"Bad, huh?" Eddie choked out as Dustin lifted him up a little.
"No, you're going to be fine. We just need to get you to a hospital, okay?" Dustin told him.
"Okay," He replied as Dustin tried to help him to stand, but it was no use. "I think I just need a second." He winced out in pain.

Eddie looked over to Monica, she sat silent in shock. He weakly reached over, she wasted no time in taking hold of his hand. Pull yourself together she thought to herself. She didn't even realise she was crying until Eddie was nothing but a blur in front of her. Eddie let out a smile.
"I didn't run away this time, right?" He managed to say. Dustin shook his head sadly. "You didn't run."

"You're going to have to look after those little sheep for me, okay?" Eddie told him.
"No! You're going to do that yourself!"

"Nah man, say 'I'm going to look after them'." He said, tears starting to fall from Dustin's eyes. Monica just looked, she didn't want to say anything to interrupt. This was their moment. It was their final moment, and she knew it which only upset her more.
"I'm going to look after them." Dustin forced out tearfully.

She felt Eddie weakly squeeze her hand. "And Monica, she needs looking after." Eddie said with a small chuckle, making Monica smile.
"That's meant to be your job, remember?" She let her other hand rest on his shoulder.
"We're going to have to take a rain check on that date, huh?"
Monica smiled down at him, holding his face in her hands. She leant down and pressed a gentle kiss on his forehead. He could feel her hot tears on his face. There was so much she wanted to say to him, the list was endless. She could tell him how much he meant to her, how happy she was with him. But now just want the time. She knew that deep down, he already knew that. He still kept a hold of her hand as tight as he could, the cold sensation of his rings lingered on her fingers.
"Hey, we're bat bite buddies now too." She squeezed his hand back. He smiled, before looking back to Dustin who's eyes were filling with tears.

"I think it's my year Henderson," Eddie looked to Dustin, who nodded back. "I think it's finally my year." He let out a struggled chuckle.

"I love you, man." He said. Dustin shook his head sadly, holding back the tears.
"I love you too."

Eddie struggled beneath them, choking out small noises, a single tear running down his cheek.
"Eddie." Monica squeezed his hand, but there was no response. His hand was limp in hers. He wasn't even holding her hand anymore, she was just holding his.
"Eddie!" Dustin shouted after him as Eddie fell silent. "Come on!" He shook him gently but there was still nothing.

Monica felt her heart sink to the pit of her stomach. She looked over to Dustin who buried his face in his hands. Monica rushed over to him and embraced him into a hug. He instantly wrapped his arms round her and sobbed into her shoulder. She held him tightly, fighting back her own tears.

She wanted nothing but to break down there and then. She glanced at Eddie, a tear rolling down her cheek. She shut her eyes and just hugged Dustin tighter as he continued to sob. She knew they had to go, but she didn't want to leave Eddie here alone. The thought of leaving him here pained her.

Dustin pulled away, his face bright red and stained with tears.
"Oh, Dustin." Monica spoke just above a whisper. He didn't say anything and hugged her again.