8. Where the Blame Lies

A/N: TW: heavy chapter, deals with abuse, murder, and prison systems, but not with our boys, dw.

°°°

The next morning, Hongjoong wakes thinking of that glowing skin, of those black and cat-like and cobalt and deep purple eyes: of raven hair and bare feet.

Perhaps the alcohol is to blame.

Yet he is not in the least bit hungover.

It seems that Cat didn't come last night. But Hongjoong returned so late... maybe Cat came while Hongjoong was still out.

Or, perhaps, Hongjoong had been with Cat the whole time.

But he shakes these thoughts from his mind: absurd.

Because they came back so late, Hongjoong woke up late, meaning San should be here any minute.

Hongjoong reaches for his bed's remote and raises the head to a seated position, making his head level with the window.

Outside that plexiglass, two driveway spaces away, there is the siding-laden wall of his neighbor's home. The way the sun reflects of that white siding... it reminds Hongjoong of the way sun sparkles on Seonghwa's skin, if only for the fact of how drastically different those two sparkles are.

But just as he had the danger to enter deeper into his memories, there is a knock at the door.

San enters with his sweet smile and soft voice, followed by a rather... made up... Wooyoung.

"Good morning, Hongjoong-ssi! What's your pain level right now, please?"

Hongjoong side eyes his cousin as he answers, "two."

"Ooo that's good." San marks a level two in his phone. "And did you take anything for it?"

Hongjoong shakes his head, which is also marked in that nursing app, and then, the morning routine commences.

Out on the edge of town, Seonghwa is having thoughts of his own.

Thoughts about humanity.

Now Seonghwa has a love-hate relationship with the inhabitants of earth; so much so that he likes to forget, for decades at a time, that he is, indeed, human himself.

Humans are idiots, says one voice; but they don't mean to be, says another.

But still, how can a species be so jarringly ignorant. With brains as developed as theirs, how can they be so exceptionally small-minded and selfish?

Yet here Seonghwa sits on manicured grass straight outside golden french-doors.

It's Yeosang's house, not mine, he tells himself.

But perhaps he enjoys this luxury his friend affords; Seonghwa can rest in comfort with all moral questions laid to Yeosang's side.

Seonghwa merely goes along with the flow, yet is that not one of the qualities he despises in humanity as a whole?

Enmity is held in Seonghwa's heart towards these, to him, insufferable people; yet the reason he hates them, is for their own hatred.

He dislikes them due to violence, yet violent thoughts enter his own mind in regard to the wealthy.

He dislikes them due to pride, but is it not pride which leads him to believe his way is better?

Comfort is a good thing, he says, and yes, it truly is. The problem rests where some live in extreme luxury and some die of want.